Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One link = six .ram

Thanks

Default One link = six .ram

One link = six .ram

Hi,

How would I get six .ram (Audio) files to play one after the other by simply clicking on one link?

Don’t even know if this is possible!

Thank you!!!
    "Only dead fish flow with the stream".
    - Unknown

Thanks

It's pretty complex.

I know nothing about .ram... but.. generically...

you will need to determine when the song file ends. This might be hard or impossible. All you need to do from there is simply have a javascript event load the next one.

You could concievably time "3 minutes and 42 seconds" (example length of a song) with javascript then change to another file after that. However, this would be unreliable depending on pausing the file, players skipping/having problems, and especially loading rates.

Speaking of loading... you'd want to preload all of them. That will make it smooth.

I'm unsure as to how you could check the file. Maybe there's a way to check "if end"... but.... I doubt it's easy anyway.

The easiest way might be to use something built into Real that will allow you to do exactly this from within the plugin, no scripting required.

The biggest question is WHY!?

The easiest thing overall is just to make a new file. Just put all 6 together.

There are some ways to make playlists, I believe... maybe with QT/WMP rather than RM, but they might work.

I think this might be more trouble than it's worth, depending on your needs. But... might work well... just not sure.

Also, I can't help myself... but gotta note that I hate RM. Why not use QT/WMA? They're both more compatible (QT more than WMA).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Thanks djr33,

Think it best to simply link them one by one huh!
    Thanks again for all your time and effort – much appreciated.

Oh yea, the reason I like .ram is that I find they load faster.

Many thanks…
    "Only dead fish flow with the stream".
    - Unknown

Thanks

.ram loads no faster than anything else.
    The only reason they might is because the files are smaller.
    I haven't noticed the compression on ram to be any better than qt/wma, so wouldn't think they'd be smaller.
    But... you could just make mp3s that are that size or another format. mp3s are nice because they're compatible with multiple players... (including Real?)

You say the easiest way is to link one by one, yes. Or, you could just link to ONE that IS all of them... just put them into one file.

Either way

There may still be more options... good luck.

Random note: with QT pro ($30) you can have multiple files linked to each other... this makes tiny link files and other host files.
    You could upload 1.mp3 - 6.mp3, and use QT to make an all.mov file that would just play all of them in a row, as if they were one file.
    Then you could still link to each individually, saving you space on your server (though not bandwidth as they'll download them the same amount as if they were different files)

Another thing to look into if you really want this would be flash. Not sure about it using .ram files, but it can use some audio, and it would be embedded, no need for compatibility beyond the flash plugin itself.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have a feeling that a .ram file can be a text file containing a list of .rm files to play, seperated by linebreaks. Try that, and if it doesn't work, investigate the format a little more.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Hi,

I did get a script file a few years ago on Javascriptkit website that was playing 10 midi files on a website one after the other and forever. Unfortunately is worked only with IE.

Here is the script:
    =========
    <script>

<!--

//By George Chiang (http://www.javascriptkit.com) More JavaScripts here!

var sound1="1.mid"

var sound2="2.mid"

var sound3="3.mid"

var sound4="4.mid"

var sound5="5.mid"

var sound6="6.mid"

var sound7="7.mid"

var sound8="8.mid"

var sound9="9.mid"

var sound10="10.mid"

var x=Math.round(Math.random()*9)

if (x==0) x=sound1

else if (x==1) x=sound2

else if (x==2) x=sound3

else if (x==3) x=sound4

else if (x==4) x=sound5

else if (x==5) x=sound6

else if (x==6) x=sound7

else if (x==7) x=sound8

else if (x==8) x=sound9

else x=sound10

if (navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer")

document.write('<bgsound src='+'"'+x+'"'+' loop="infinite">')

else

document.write('<embed src='+'"'+x+'"'+'hidden="true" border="0" width="20" height="20" autostart="true" loop="true">')

//-->

</script>
    =============

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Urgh, yuck. Without cleaning up the actual implementation at all, that code can be shrunk considerably:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    //By George Chiang (http://www.javascriptkit.com) More JavaScripts here!

var sounds = ["1.mid", "2.mid", "3.mid", "4.mid", ...],
      x = sounds[Math.floor(Math.random()*sounds.length)];

if (navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer")
      document.write('<bgsound src='+'"'+x+'"'+' loop="infinite">');
    else
      document.write('<embed src='+'"'+x+'"'+'hidden="true" border="0" width="20" height="20" autostart="true" loop="true">');
    </script>
    However, this code is still very ugly, using browser detection and document.write(), and apparently only working in IE. I won't bother to clean it up, because I know little about sound in webpages (I avoid it wherever possible [which tends to be everywhere]) and because it's not actually relevant; this script will play one random sound, not all the sounds one after the other.

Does George own javascriptkit.com or was it just his script?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Twey's idea about a text list of files to play is a good one.
    Failing that, do look into the format.
    It'll be much more compatible than anything you can do with javascript.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Twey's idea about a text list of files to play is a good one.
    Failing that, do look into the format.
    I think that the text list of files to play IS part of the format
    With RealPlayer formats, at least, you can use a .rpm file that has a playlist in it, seperated by linebreaks. When the file is played, the media player downloads and plays each of these files in turn.

Thanks

if it doesn't work, investigate the format a little more.
    I was just agreeing

And... does this work with other formats? QT/WM?