Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get the Last modified date of an external text file?

Thanks

Default Get the Last modified date of an external text file?

Hi there all,

I'm new to JavaScript, so excuse me if this is in the "gosh that's so simple" area.

I was wondering if there was a simple JS function to get the last modified date of an external text file. I've tried the "document.lastmodified" function, but (obviously) this returns the current web pages' date.

Its just for a simple price list/data table page that will look for the newly uploaded "prices.txt" and use that as a "Prices correct as at: 08/05/06" type of thing.

all the best,

Tony L.
    Last edited by KegExpress; 05-08-2006 at 11:56 PM. Reason: I wanted email notification turned on.

Thanks

document.lastmodified will work only with the current document. For external text file my suggestion is to use server side script instead.

Here is an example on how to do it using ASP.Net:
    Code:
    Dim strLastModified As String
    strLastModified = System.IO.File.GetLastWriteTime(Server.MapPath("prices.txt")).ToString("D")
    lblMsg.Text = "Prices correct as at: " & LastModified

Thanks

Otaku is right.

That's a server side thing... you can't do stuff on the server client side. Kinda the point, sadly.

However, i'd look into PHP before ASP. Your choice though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Ah Dang,

I wanted the "Quick-And-Dirty" answer, seems a bit OTT to have to learn yet another programing language

thanks of the help anyway,

Tony L.

PS: a QAD answer, after looking for a few days for it - now that's optomism!! lol

Thanks

The only chance is if the file stores that data in a place you can access it. Might work... dunno.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I wanted the "Quick-And-Dirty" answer, seems a bit OTT to have to learn yet another programing language
    For just that one task, maybe, but a server-side language will serve you admirably in the future.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33
    However, i'd look into PHP before ASP. Your choice though.
    I strongly recommend ASP.Net.
    By the way djr33, ASP.Net and ASP are not the same thing. It's like comparing java and javascript.

Thanks

In fact we can do it using javascript.

Demo:
    http://www.getelementbyid.com/demo/LastModified/

Simply place <span id="LastModified"></span> where you want the message to be displayed and change the path for: src="prices.txt"

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Last Modified</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function getLastMod(){
    	var myFrm = document.getElementById('myIframe');
    	var lastModif = new Date(myFrm.contentWindow.document.lastModified);
    	document.getElementById('LastModified').innerHTML = "Prices correct as at: " + lastModif.toLocaleString();
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <span id="LastModified"></span>

<iframe id="myIframe" onload="getLastMod()" src="prices.txt" style="display:none;">
    </iframe>

</body>
    </html>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by otaku
    In fact we can do it using javascript.
    Certainly. Two ways, at least. However, if this information needs to be displayed, your original suggestion of a server-side approach is far superior. Even if there's no necessity, using the server would still be preferable.

That fails in Opera, at the very least.

var lastModif = new Date(myFrm.contentWindow.document.lastModified);
    The contentWindow property is a non-standard feature, and not all browsers implement it. Though it could be feature tested alongside the contentDocument property, one should also ensure that the document object is accessible at all:

Code:
    var doc;

if ((doc = myFrm.contentDocument)
        || (myFrm.contentWindow && (doc = myFrm.contentWindow.document))) {
      /* ... */
    }
    Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I strongly recommend ASP.Net.
    Closed-source, ugly, platform- and webserver-dependant, and, in its most common usage, a variant of a language that was most certainly never designed for web programming (yes, I know ASP.NET can use other, more suitable languages, but the point is that most people don't, yourself included from what I've seen of your examples so far)? Oh, Mono is trying hard enough, but they haven't got anything even resembling a usable ASP.NET parser yet -- it can only parse C#, for a start. If you want a pre-compiled web backend language, use JSP, rather than Microsoft's poor attempt at a clone.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!