Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner using word to create web pages

Thanks

Ha, Twey,

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Microsoft would never get away with it if they were selling something solid. It's all about software. 90% of people really do not have a clue about what makes a good piece of software -- or even that another piece of software that does the same thing, only better, exists. The latter is mostly because Microsoft like it that way. It's a form of brainwashing, and it is not acceptable.
    Last edited by Twey; 05-07-2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Caught myself in an anti-Microsoft rant. :)
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Yes -- in totally different directions, so that they're not compatible with anything else.
    I disagree, their more recent efforts appear to show a trend toward including the old proprietary methods that reflect that sentiment (for backward compatibility) as well as increasing accommodation of standards.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John
    their more recent efforts appear to show a trend toward including the old proprietary methods that reflect that sentiment (for backward compatibility) as well as increasing accommodation of standards.
    Not at all. They've only just made their homepage valid. IE7 will not support XHTML. The DOM layout and implementation are, as far as I know, still vastly different from those of every other browser.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    [T]heir more recent efforts appear to show a trend toward including the old proprietary methods that reflect that sentiment (for backward compatibility) as well as increasing accommodation of standards.
    The problem, though, is that many proprietary features are in direct opposition to the standardised mechanisms that should replace them.

Microsoft are well-known for their reluctance to break compatibility. If circumstances were different, that attitude would be positive; admirable, even. But as they are, a clean break is what Microsoft should aim to do.

When Microsoft introduced DOCTYPE switching into IE, they probably should have made the break then: drop all of the chaff that developers shouldn't be using and implement things as specified. If legacy material couldn't be reworked, authors could still use Quirks mode.

Hopefully, when Microsoft get around to implementing XHTML properly, they'll do it then. They'd damn well better use a conforming XML processor. More catering to the ignorant is the last thing the Web needs. The realm of tag-soup can continue to deal with that.

Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Seems to be just a matter of the pace of change then really. Like it or not, MS has successfully captured the lion's share of the market, the fact that they are changing at all is perhaps a sign of FF's surge or perhaps just good sense on MS's part. To abandon the proprietary features to quirks mode only would probably be a mistake though, as it would virtually close the door on developing coders that are coming from an IE only world from even experimenting with standards.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Monopoly. Bad one at that.

Not a good thing.

Thanks

so, does nobody else use Notepad? or, is it just that notepad is harder with larger scale websites. ive never used anything other than dreamweaver which i dislike very much and notepad. ive also never created a professionaly website.

Thanks

Sure... notepad is fine. I find it boring to look at for too long... but it's fine.

My preference is using dreamweaver's code view so it color codes the stuff as I type... makes it just a bit more visual (and interesting).

Notepad is fine, though.

however, I'd recommend using something (wordpad is like notepad, but a bit more advanced) that can use tabs, so you can organize your code.
    html (etc) files support this, but, sadly, notepad doesn't, so it's a bit of a pain.

But some people love notepad...

In the end, you just have some code. Whatever works for you to make that code is fine. You can make large or small sites however... just the time and method will vary.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darco9x2
    so, does nobody else use Notepad? or, is it just that notepad is harder with larger scale websites. ive never used anything other than dreamweaver which i dislike very much and notepad. ive also never created a professionaly website.
    I would recommend a text editor written specifically for or easily adapted to the code language(s) you wish to write in. Edit Pad Pro is good.
    - John