Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URL parsing in posts

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default URL parsing in posts

Is there any way to disable parsing URIs in my posts by default? I wouldn't mind if it left the content the way it is, but if it's going to truncate and mangle all my URIs and mean I have to go into "advanced" mode to set them right again every time I edit, I'd rather insert [url] tags myself, thanks.

I've been coding too much: I typed "myself" as "mysql" automatically. And again just then. >.<
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Is there any way to disable parsing URIs in my posts by default?
    I looked for an option in the control panel long ago but never found one. I never use the automated parsing mechanism and get quite irritated myself when I forget to disable it.

Mike

Thanks

Yeah. There's a way. Not hard either. Just find the page containing the skin data for this, and remove "selected" from that checkbox.
    It may be a pain to find... but... it's quite possible.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah. There's a way. Not hard either. Just find the page containing the skin data for this, and remove "selected" from that checkbox.
    It may be a pain to find... but... it's quite possible.
    You've got to 541 posts and still haven't worked out that ddadmin is the only one with administrative access?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

No, I realize that. I just know that, given the password to the ftp, it's just a matter of following php includes, functions, loops, etc, til you find where that checkbox is actually stored as html in a page.
    From there, just take out "selected", and you're done.

I've done the same thing with my forum. (Well.. similar... but changing things like that.... using IPB, but same basic design, from what I can tell on the client end of things.)

I know there's no reason ddadmin would give me the password, and I wouldn't expect him to (almost wouldn't want him to, not that I'm not trustworthy, but that just seems like unneccessarily handing out passwords), but I think he could do this himself, and quite easily. He knows as much about this as I do.

It's just a maze til you find the command.

That's it.

But... the issue here is that what you're suggesting makes the "easy" way not the "default" way. So... there's a certain logic to having it set to the easy way for those who aren't as used to the boards and would want it parsed. You, on the other hand, know what you're doing and can turn it off (as annoying as that is).

If you're actually suggesting coding an addition to the forum where it's a user preference, then that's biting off a bit more than I'd choose to chew. Heh.
    But... it would, again, be more about navigating the maze of pages than it would actual syntax.
    Just add a field to the members in the database, a 1 or a 0, then check that on the pages... but... ew. Plus settings pages.

Anyway... possible, but I doubt ddadmin will choose to do this, and I don't really disagree.

I'm tired, and rambling. Sorry
    G'night

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

I set the advanced editor as my default in the User CP a long time ago, for this and many other reasons.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I set the advanced editor as my default in the User CP a long time ago
    Yeah... but "Quick Reply" is kind of convenient.

Thanks

Indeed. I realized this a while ago. Setting the checkbox like that in the advanced editor is pretty easy once the page is found... but just 'cause its a textbox that already exists.
    Modifying the code (especially of the quick reply) would be hard... very hard.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Yeah... but "Quick Reply" is kind of convenient.
    It was a little better at first when, if you had the advanced editor as your default, each message still had the quick reply button available on it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    It was a little better at first when, if you had the advanced editor as your default, each message still had the quick reply button available on it.
    Hmm, either the quick reply option was still there and I didn't notice it or, it's back! Just no button, rather the quick reply editor is simply there below each thread. Still it would be nice to have a quick reply button on each post in a thread. Not that I'd use it much.
    - John