Advanced Search

Thread: css help /arrangements in browsers

Thanks

Question css help /arrangements in browsers

My site is in css code, but the site looks fine in Mozilla but not in IE, it tends to move around, for example, like this site http://www.utahdoula.com/about.html , if you view it in Mozilla and IE. It looks fine in Mozilla, (My site) but when viewed in IE, it messes it up totally.

It's getting pretty rediculous when, the time I spend trying to learn how to do css, which is supposedly more stricter code, hasn't really helped me at all, not really. I feel as if as much as I've taught myself css, I feel I'm back at round one all over again. Do I need to learn hacks too to get things to view as is in both browsers? What on earth do I have to do to get my site to look fine in both browsers? At least IE anyway. Is there any advice you can give me along with the question(s) above,I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

P.S. The Site above is not my site, I used it as an example.

Sabrina

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCJVS1
    My site is in css code, but the site looks fine in Mozilla but not in IE, it tends to move around, for example, like this site http://www.utahdoula.com/about.html , if you view it in Mozilla and IE. It looks fine in Mozilla, (My site) but when viewed in IE, it messes it up totally.
    It seems fine, here. However, it doesn't resize well in either browser.

It's getting pretty rediculous when, the time I spend trying to learn how to do css, which is supposedly more stricter code, hasn't really helped me at all, not really. I feel as if as much as I've taught myself css, I feel I'm back at round one all over again.
    If you first learnt presentational HTML (or relied on WYSIWYG software), then the biggest obstacle is unlearning the majority of what you already know. People hope that they can dive straight into semantic markup and CSS, and expect results immediately. However, that isn't the case.

The first steps need to be slow and incremental; first get comfortable with marking-up a document properly and ignoring how it looks (though one should note that it reads sensibly and in order, even if it looks poor). After that, the style sheet can be created little-by-little, examining how things change and if any problems occur. Of course, later this can all be done at once, but it's easier to diagnose issues if one takes it slow.

Do I need to learn hacks too to get things to view as is in both browsers?
    Sometimes, and almost certainly if you want to support earlier IE versions (which use a different box model compared to other browsers).

What on earth do I have to do to get my site to look fine in both browsers?
    Have patience, and learn to understand how and where IE breaks down. What features it supports. Which ones it doesn't. How to work around its shortcomings. Knowing when what you want is impossible. Position is Everything will probably be invaluable, in this regard.

Mike