Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do the images on my web site load so slowly?

Thanks

Default Why do the images on my web site load so slowly?

Hey!

Here's my web site, www.global-uniforms.com, if you browse the product categories on the left, you will see that the images load very slowly, yet the files are not that big, about 60Kb each...

Any suggestions as to how I can make them load faster or in such a way that looks a bit more professional?

Thx
    Lat

Thanks

As for me they don't load at all ...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Load fine here.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

There's a big white blank spot. The rest loaded fine, and quickly.

Thanks

The first page is not finalized yet, I was wondering if you guys could check out the left portion of the web site and press on the categories ....You will see that the pictures load slowly...

How small should be each jpg image anyways?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ah. Now those don't load at all, since they're not actually there, and return 404s.
    As a rough guideline, on today's internet connections, I'd say that a total of 1MB of pictures on the page is probably acceptable; maybe two if really necessary.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    As a rough guideline, on today's internet connections, I'd say that a total of 1MB of pictures on the page is probably acceptable; maybe two if really necessary.
    What sort of 'page' are you considering, though?

Though there are a large number of broadband users, there are still a significant number of dial-up users. It would take the latter at least three-and-a-half minutes to download a megabyte of data. If they needed to get it all before they could begin navigating, you can almost guarantee that they'll be long gone.

There are some exceptions for blatently media-rich parts of a site (photo galleries, being the most obvious), but nearly everywhere else should be limited to around 200KB for the entire document (including style sheets, images, scripts, etc.) for general audiences and e-commerce.

Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Though there are a large number of broadband users, there are still a significant number of dial-up users. It would take the latter at least three-and-a-half minutes to download a megabyte of data.
    Yes, but this seems to be common on the Web; a client I had recently needed me to fix his connection, and one site in particular (I think it may have been Amazon or Dabs) took a good five minutes to download.

Thanks

How come the pictures load on all 3 computers at my office (slowly) but you get 404?

The pictures are nout 70K each, there's 2 on each page.

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Ah. Now those don't load at all, since they're not actually there, and return 404s.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I see backslashes in your URIs. There should never be backslashes in a URI.
    Firefox appears to have stepped down slightly on this position; when I first used it, it wouldn't even load a page with a backslash in the URL. Now, it seems, it tries it as a directory seperator. However, there are deeper problems. Accessed as http://www.global-uniforms.com/index_files/aprons.htm, the base of your page is http://www.global-uniforms.com/index_files/, and so the images (let's take image7991.jpg as an example) are looked for under that directory (http://www.global-uniforms.com/index_files/image7991.jpg). However, when the file is accessed as http://www.global-uniforms.com/%5Cindex_files%5Caprons.htm, as you have your links, the backslashes do not count when Firefox is looking for the base, so it tries to load http://www.global-uniforms.com/image7991.jpg, which doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Twey; 04-27-2006 at 04:59 PM.