Thread: Select option drop down

Thanks

Red face Select option drop down

I am trying to do 2 things and getting nowhere. Any advice would be appreciated.

1- I have numerous texts to be inserted into a Select drop down option menu for links. However it is extremely long and will not wrap. I have tried everything i know to wrap it but it is cut off. I dont want the page scrolling to the right.

2- Changing the color of the menu , ie not just the background color. I want the arrow and all of it a different style.

Please help

Kase

Thanks
    Blog Entries

1- I have numerous texts to be inserted into a Select drop down option menu for links. However it is extremely long and will not wrap. I have tried everything i know to wrap it but it is cut off. I dont want the page scrolling to the right.
    Then use shorter text. <option> elements will not wrap.
    2- Changing the color of the menu , ie not just the background color. I want the arrow and all of it a different style.
    You can try using the CSS:
    Code:
    select {
      color: red;
      background-color: black;
    }
    However, that's far from reliable, since form elements tend to be handled by the underlying toolkit, and so cannot be affected by your code. It may work in a few browsers.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Default No

I was hoping for a more Javascript based answer. I cannot reduce the size of the text because of its content and i already know the HTML commands you gave me , looking for a script that allows the drop down box to be changed in appearance while at the same time allowing wrapping of text.

Kase

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I cannot reduce the size of the text because of its content and i already know the HTML commands you gave me , looking for a script that allows the drop down box to be changed in appearance while at the same time allowing wrapping of text.
    I repeat: <option> elements will not wrap. Why would you want a Javascript-based solution if the only thing approaching a solution that is possible is available in the far-more-widely-used CSS? A better idea is to avoid Javascript wherever possible. I gave no HTML, by the bye.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can't be done using the select and option elements. You could construct script and/or markup (using divisions, spans, etc.) to present your content in the manner you desire but, the select and option elements do not have the flexibility you seem to require.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate