Thread: CSS Opera (Whitespace)

Thanks

Default CSS Opera (Whitespace)

I use Opera browser all the time and notice a couple problems while using Jupitor Portal script, the fault is on Opera so I need a way to fix this.

1. Block had some sort of padding or whitespace on the right side for some reason.
    2. Search button width is short.

Problem in red: http://www.phosted.com/x4/invisionjupitor.png
    Site: http://www.inet.5gigs.com/jupitor/?n=modules/search

CSS: http://pastebin.ca/49314

Can someone give me a solution or work around for this problem.

P.S: I'ved tried adding margin: 0; padding: 0; to con1 but that didn't work.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not your css, for the most part. It is mainly your layout. The search button is css, inline css. Simply removing the inline style attribute:

Code:
    <input class="box" style="width:100%" type="submit" value="Search">
    will fix that. The rest is layout, you have 8 instances of colspan="10". Several of these should be removed, others reduced. In order of their appearance on your page:

1st through 5th - remove.

6th - change to colspan="7" (this is the calendar)

7th - change to colspan="2"

8th - remove

Note: Since you have no "Latest 5 active topics" showing, if they use extra columns, the 4rth colspan="10" should be adjusted to the number of columns used there, rather than be removed.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 04-15-2006 at 01:58 AM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

jscheuer1, your right! It is a layout problem and your on the right track. But I came to a snag with the script.

The problem is that colspan='10' cannot be changed individually, there's actually a file called block.php that does this, see it here.

So I can't change the 8 instances of colspan='10' to 2 and 7 it can only be one number altogether, whatever number is in block.php that the number its going to be for all 8. Hope that makes sense. Can you tell me what to do now?

Here's the index.php page if needed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, unless you can really get under the hood with that PHP script (I'm pretty weak in PHP, try the PHP forum) or report this as a bug to the developers and have them fix it as, Opera is rendering the generated HTML correctly. I'd suggest this inelegant style addition fix:

Code:
    table.main table.main {
    background-color:#e4eaf2;
    }
    It will remove the neat white lines for the cells but, overall the look is much more acceptable.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help. I hope I can find the person to do this for me. By the way, what files do you think needs editing?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'd think the index.php needs to be modified to allow for other block.php type files to be included in various situations that would write colspan= to whatever number of columns are actually used in the table, or to allow for a variable to be set each time for the number of columns to be spanned by a modified block.php file.
    - John