Advanced Search

Thread: Alternative method to scrolling complete content like images, tables and text.

Thanks

Default Alternative method to scrolling complete content like images, tables and text.

This time my question is:
    if i made a design something along the lines of this:

without frames (i'm bored with them) could i have the entire
    site content on that main content area and use those arrows to
    scroll up and down of the content area instead of using an
    iframe with the traditional boring browser scrollbars on the right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by premier69
    if i made a design something along the lines of this [...] without frames (i'm bored with them)
    Being bored with frames isn't the reason to stop using them. Frames, as they current exist in HTML, are badly designed (Netscape created them unilaterally, without input from other vendors) and their implementation is poor. They can present significant accessibility and usability problems, which have been described at length all over the Web, and almost always unnecessary when used.

could i have the entire site content on that main content area and use those arrows to scroll up and down of the content area instead of using an
    iframe with the traditional boring browser scrollbars on the right?
    You could, but then visitors would have to learn how to navigate around your site, which uses a totally unintuitive method for the most basic of actions.

I would suggest that you drop the idea of using frames (both framesets and inline frames), and the notion of keeping a header and navigation always on screen. Neither has value from a user's perspective.

Mike