Thread: Multi-Part Content Script Help

Thanks

Default Multi-Part Content Script Help

Multi-Part Content Script
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...artcontent.htm

I've used this script in a draft new page. Recently, Firefox is adding space for each multiparts <div> when the forward button is pushed.

I assume it is some problem in the css rules and hacks (the css has been an additive process and I'm not particularly experienced with this), but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to look?

The site
    http://www.cybered.com
    user: guest
    pass: guest

Thanks,

Keith Blakeman

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, it is hard to say, often different browsers see the default margins of things differently. If you add this bit to your style, it should take care of it but, it really looks OK with the extra space, just different:

Code:
    .multiparts {
    margin-bottom:-25px!important;
    margin-bottom:0;
    }
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't think I made the issue clear. In FireFox (and only in FireFox) I am getting strange behavior.

The behavior is: When I click on the Forward link (...tell me more in the example page), the multiparts area seems to add space for the next <div>. This is most apparant if you click the link a few times because it will drop off the page. This does not happen in Win IE or in Safari. It is as if FireFox were assigning space for the Multiparts <div>s which should be set to display:hidden when they are not active.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That can be hard to track down, especially as it is not happening here for me. I'm using FF1.5.0 - with that upgrade, FF took care of a number of rendering bugs. If you are using an earlier version or view the page in NS (the NS8 I have still uses the old Mozilla engine for FF emulation, NS7 definitely does), the problem is probably limited to those and other earlier Mozilla engine based browsers.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I might add that back when this older Mozilla engine was all that we had in FF, these kinds of problems could only be resolved by tracing back the design, removing everything from the page except its script and markup, then slowly adding things back until the problem surfaced. Then an alternative way of adding that design feature would need to be found.

Tables or any container for the script (including the body and the html selectors as you have in your stylesheet) with height set to 100% were often to blame.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 03-31-2006 at 07:18 PM.
    - John

Thanks

John,

Thanks again.

I upgraded to 1.5 and problem solved. I would assume it was the 100% height elements that were causing the problem for the older Mozilla engine.

I was getting ready to do what you indicated - strip down and add until I found the problem, now I'll have to decide if its worth it or not.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks

works fine in Safari (1.0). You probly don't have access to it, so that'll help you a bit.