Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scroll bar - set where it starts

Thanks

Default Scroll bar - set where it starts

I have a table with a horizontal scrollbar. I would like to set where the scroll bar starts when the user loads the page. Is this possible?

In other words, if the table were, let's say, a TV guide for all of Monday and only four hours showed at a time, I want to set that the table initially shows 10am -2pm. The user could them scroll back and forth to see other hours.

All tables/images that I see always start with the scroll bar all the way to the left.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think that's possible, unless you use an iframe to contain the table.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Even with an iframe, can you determine where the scroll bars start?

I was wondering if there was some javascript code, that scrolls?? So load the page and then instantly scroll to the correct location?

Thanks

perhaps you could use scrollTo() in some way if the obj can only scroll left and right it might work.
    this works with you normal scroll bar on the actual window but if you adapt it yo something like below it might work
    eg

document.onLoad.getElementById("id").scrollTo()

hope it works

Thanks
    Blog Entries

window.scrollTo() is available, as are window.pageYOffset and window.pageXOffset (Gecko) and window.document.body.scrollTop and window.document.body.scrollLeft (IE).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Yes but they would only scroll the main window its self.

but im hoping the code there would get the actual element and scroll it rather than the entire page. Because thb TV guide would not take up the whole page. It would just be a part of the page.
    Last edited by .alias.; 03-26-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes but they would only scroll the main window its self.
    Or an iframe.

Thanks

Yea it would work an iframe if you wanted to do it with iframes. That would work well actualy. I hope you get it to work

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well there is the (not universally supported):

element.scrollLeft=value

Or, if your element is position:absolute;overflow:hidden; inside another that is position:relative; then the inner element's style.left can be set.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

When I saw this, I thought it was an easy answer, but I guess not.
    If you were doing it vertically, all you'd need to do is use targets and an anchor, but I don't know if there's an equivalent for horizontal stuff. Seems like no.