Thread: ajaxcontent caching

Thanks

Default ajaxcontent caching

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...jaxcontent.htm
    Experimenting with the above script, I find that changes I make to the external file I am loading into my page, are not being seen. It seems that the function is “remembering” not only my CSS file, but also the external page. My javascript ability is not so good, so I am asking if my external files are also being “remembered”, similarly to that noted in the extract below.

“Also, this function (loadobjs) will remember when a CSS or JS file has already been loaded and applied to the page, and won't load the same file again even if the link that invokes it is clicked on multiple times. This is for sake of efficiency.”

I also have some corrections to make with my CSS, which becomes very time consuming, because of this caching. What's the best way to temporarily disable it ?

Thanks
    Alan

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Configure your server to not cache the page(s) in question. However, enable it again once you're done testing; caching is useful and shouldn't be disabled.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

See this thread for a solution: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8172

BTW, I think I'll just go ahead and add anti caching to the script right now, since it seems to be what people want.

Thanks

Works a treat !! Thanks. Great support.

I guess in a working environment, the script could check the timestamp of the external file, and download it again only if it is newer than the cached file, or would this be too inefficient ?

Alan

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I guess in a working environment, the script could check the timestamp of the external file, and download it again only if it is newer than the cached file, or would this be too inefficient ?
    That's what the original script does.

ddadmin: I think this ought to be a variable.
    Also, check for data transferred via the GET URI, because this could mess up operation otherwise:
    Code:
    page_request.open('GET', url + (url.indexOf('?') == -1) ? '?' : '&') + 'bustcache=' + (new Date()).getTime(), true)
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Good point Twey. I've gone ahead and added bust caching as a variable:

Code:
    if (bustcachevar) //if bust caching of external page
    var bustcacheparameter=(url.indexOf("?")!=-1)? "&"+new Date().getTime() : "?"+new Date().getTime()
    page_request.open('GET', url+bustcacheparameter, true)