Thread: Make page fit all screen sizes

Thanks

Question Make page fit all screen sizes

With the various different screen sizes available today, how can I make my page fit them all. Right now it is to the top left on those big screens/monitors

If not can I center the page. I have alot of objects with absolute numbers.

Thanks in advance for your input.

www.cast-utech.ca

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

For maximising the potential screen width used, use percentage, rather than pixels to define the widths of things other than images. For centering, this page is a good example. However, the way you have it, top left, is not such a bad way of dealing with the situation and actually is the preferred method of many designers. What happens on these larger sized, higher resolution monitors is that the folks with them often surf with windows that do not take up the entire screen. Top left positioning works well in such situations. One tip I'd give you is that if you must use that ugly info box with the mouse pointer, when it is finished being used, set its display to none rather than its visibility to hidden.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Unhappy TheHugsProject.com

I am putting up a website for TheHugsProject.com a non profit organization and I am using tables, now when I look at the webpage it looks great to me but when, the person Im making it for looks at it she says the wording on the Christmas Wish page is not lining up! Could someone tell me how to fix this..

Thanks in Advance
    Donna

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patrioticwife View Post
    I am putting up a website for TheHugsProject.com a non profit organization and I am using tables, now when I look at the webpage it looks great to me but when, the person Im making it for looks at it she says the wording on the Christmas Wish page is not lining up! Could someone tell me how to fix this..

Thanks in Advance
    Donna
    If you make your window about 800px wide, I think you will see what your friend means and probably how to fix it. Instead of using non-breaking space to create a left margin and <br> to create a right margin (at different screen sizes, you cannot as easily predict where the lines should break), use:

HTML Code:
    <div style="margin-left:2em;margin-right:2em;">A paragraph's worth of Text here</div>
    Only use the <br> tag if you want a hard break in the text like, extra space between paragraphs.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate