Thread: A game about linguistics

Thanks

Default A game about linguistics

Hey, guys! New here.
    I'm considering developing a game about linguistics for my new website. Here is what I've done by now:
    http://flatassembler.000webhostapp.com/etymologist.html
    Do you have some ideas for the interface that are easy to program but would make the game playable?
    Thanks in advace!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would suggest not to give explanations straight away (but afterwards only, via a link that can be clicked) for correct answers.
    By the way, /t/ at the beginning of a given English word doesn't always correspond to /tz/ in its German cognate. The phonological context plays a role, compare truth and Treue (I guess these two words are etymologically related).

Thanks

I would suggest not to give explanations straight away (but afterwards only, via a link that can be clicked) for correct answers.
    If I don't show what the root is immediately after one guesses the correct answer, it will be even harder to deduce what the grammar rules are (in Part #2 and Part #3). Why exactly do you think I should do that?
    By the way, /t/ at the beginning of a given English word doesn't always correspond to /tz/ in its German cognate.
    I am aware of that. The actual rule is that it corresponds to 'z' in the beginning of a word if followed by a semivowel ('y' or 'w') or a vowel, and also if it's not in the beginning of a word, but is preceded by a liquid consonant or a nasal. My algorithm is unlikely generate such complicated rules for sound correspondences ("0(t)V>z, 0(t)y>z, 0(t)w>z, r(t)>z, l(t)>z, N(t)>z" versus just "0(t)>z"), but I don't think it's worth trying to fix that (by implementing chain-shifts triggered by asymmetric sound systems). The algorithms are already around 400 lines.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlatAssembler View Post
    Why exactly do you think I should do that?
    A long time ago I did something similar for Dutch students of French. The program was about French past tenses and was written in javascript. The students complained that they were forced to look at explanations even when their answers were correct. So I made it so that they were allowed but not forced to look at explanations in the case of correct answers, and only were forced to it when the answer(s) were incorrect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by molendijk View Post
    By the way, /t/ at the beginning of a given English word doesn't always correspond to /tz/ in its German cognate. The phonological context plays a role, compare truth and Treue (I guess these two words are etymologically related).
    Thanks for pointing that out!