Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transition

Thanks

Default transition

can someone please help me. I want the webpage to fade out when somone clicks on the next page and I can not figure out how to do it. ive been trying to figure out all day and cant get it. Can someone explain step by step how i need to do this please!!! Im making a website for my daughter's Make-a-wish trip that she had granted so i want to make it cool as possible. Thanks for any help you can give!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 3,189 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a simple IE only method (most folks use IE, so it will work for most people). Put one or the other or both of these tags in the head of your page(s):

<meta http-equiv="Page-Exit" content="blendTrans(Duration=3.0)">
    <meta http-equiv="Page-Enter" content="blendTrans(Duration=3.0)">

The 3.0 is the length of time in seconds that the effect will last. Be aware that some people will think that this makes the site load slowly. It doesn't really but, there is no accounting for taste. Dial-up users are especially sensitive about this issue.

3.0 is kind of long really, 1.5 would probably be better. Also the effect only works within the site's domain, so the initial page will load normally no matter what you do. And, since only one of these tags is required, if you have the effect throughout your site, just use the exit one.

One other drawback is that certain jpg images will exhibit 'artifacts' during the blend process. Careful editing (in an image program) can prevent this but, it is a tedious job. Even with other more complex methods of page fading, this will still occur in IE.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

ive used that code and it still wont work for me. when i hit the preview button it will work, but when i go to the actual website it wont work. So i cant figure out what im doing wrong. im building my site on geocities, would that make any difference or not? im so lost lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's strange, what browser are you using? If you do not use IE, you will not see the effect. However, most people do use IE so they will see it. If you are using IE, it might be a problem with Geocities. I'd have to see the page:

PLEASE: Include the URL to your problematic webpage that you want help with.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Careful editing (in an image program) can prevent this
    Care to elaborate?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Care to elaborate?[re:jpg artifacts in IE fades]
    Well, to be more precise, I should have said eliminate, rather than prevent. Let's make sure we are on the same page first:

The Problem:

You have a nifty script or other fade effect working for your page but, in IE some or all of your .jpg images exhibit these white dots during the fading in process. These dots each appear to be (and are, as far as I can tell) 1 pixel in size, though there may be many of them in any given image.

A Solution (tedious though it may be):

Load the image into an image editing program that has a retouch feature, select the smudge tool (others may work, like the blur or lightness up/down, I just never bothered testing them). Smudge the area that is exhibiting these dots. Save the image and retest it in IE using the fade script or effect. It can take some number of times doing this on a trial and error basis and a few pixels of black may need to be introduced as fodder for the smudging process but, it can be done in this way. At first, unless you are lucky, you will miss the area completely and/or only succeed in moving the white dots around and/or changing their number. Persistence will pay off but, as I said, it is a tedious business. Hopefully, there is a better way.
    - John

Thanks

I am using IE and the website is www.geocities.com/azreawishtrip Thank you for taking the time and helping me with this, it is greatly appreciated this website means alot to me!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hm, I see.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angel_kisses_xoxo
    I am using IE and the website is www.geocities.com/azreawishtrip Thank you for taking the time and helping me with this, it is greatly appreciated this website means alot to me!
    The only thing that jumps out at me is that your page has no opening html tag. That really doesn't matter for the effect, not by itself. It is a required tag though and with the scripts that Geocities inserts before your content, could be confusing the browser. So, try this and let me know:

HTML Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Page-Exit" content="blendtrans(duration=2.0)">
    </head>
    Please be aware that this effect cannot work when you first surf to the site but, it should work when exiting the first page to the second. To be a site wide effect, it should be on each page.
    - John

Thanks

John, I copied and pasted the code that you left and put it on each page and it still wont work