Thread: All Levels Navigational Menu (v4.3) flaky on IE 11 (Drop down disappears)

Thanks

Unhappy All Levels Navigational Menu (v4.3) flaky on IE 11 (Drop down disappears)

1) Script Title: All Levels Navigational Menu (v4.3)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex...menu/index.htm

3) Describe problem: Intermittent problem. I've been trying horizontal menu demo on DD page referenced above. When mousing down from top level entry, drop down menu disappears before mouse reaches desired choice. Happens about half the time. Happens only on IE 11 running on Windows 10. All software patched up as far as I can tell. Cannot recreate problem on Firefox, Chrome or Opera. Had similar problem with Edge but may have gone away. Can't recreate it today. MANY THANKS for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not happening here that I can see in IE 11 under Win 10. Do you mean you're having this problem on the demo page, or on your own page?

Mmm, now I do see it on the demo page, intermittent like you say. Seems if you move the mouse quickly enough it's even less of a problem, but still happens sometimes when it's "in the mood." I'll see if I can track it down.

Ah, I remember now, that's a known issue, at least to me. There's a very similar menu that had the same problem that I fixed. I suggest you try that one:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 07-23-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: combine similar posts
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks, jscheuer1! I appreciate your prompt response. I'll try Smooth Navigational Menu (v3.02) and let you know, Cheers!
    Last edited by NoAlarmClock; 07-23-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks

All Levels Navigational Menu (v4.3) also fails in MS Edge (same behavior as in IE 11). Could it be hereditary? ;-)
    Smooth Navigational Menu (v3.02) seems to work just fine in all browsers I use: Edge, IE 11, Firefox 54, Chrome 59, Opera 46 and Safari 5.1.7 for Windows (I know it's old.)
    I will convert the menu on my website to Smooth Navigational Menu. Any advice to simplify the conversion would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The HTML is similar except for the fact that All Levels separates out the submenus and the use of class and id is slightly different. So just bear that in mind. Then, you just scrap the All Levels script and use the Smooth Navigational script.

I think my main advice other than that would be to give it your best shot, and if you have any problems you can't figure out, post a link here to a demo on your site that shows the problem you're having. I'm sure either myself or one of our other members will be able to help you get it working and/or fine tune it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

NoAlarmClock (07-29-2017)

Thanks

jscheuer1: Thanks again for your guidance and thanks, also, for your encouragement. All worked fine. Check it out: http://www.granburygardens.com".

New problem - may or may not be related. This time IE 11 and Edge behave well but Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari are a little flaky. On my site, when moving from page to page, IE and Edge transition smoothly (variable content changes but repeating page content does not budge). Moving from page to page in the other browsers, the entire page 'jumps' (refreshes, redraws). Not serious, but annoying. Anyone have an idea on this? As always, Big Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

MAKE SURE to keep backups of the pages before you begin, just in case anything you do causes a problem that didn't previously exist.

Hmm, might be unavoidable. But there are some things you can try. Two I see right away:

1.) Too many meta tags - try eliminating any unnecessary meta tags. I see one that's duplicated, others that are throwaways. The dupe is:

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    then later there's:

Code:
    <META http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    I'd certainly get rid of the second one. Others that can just go are:

Code:
    <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="all"><!-- all | none | index | noindex | follow | nofollow -->
    <META NAME="expires" CONTENT="never"><!-- yyyymmdd or never-->
    <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="30 days">
    as these are either the default, or unimportant.

2.) Put all stylesheet links in their current order but one after the other and immediately following the last meta tag, before any scripts. This will help the browser setup the page as desired as quickly as possible. As a part of this, attempt to eliminate any contradictory stylesheet directives - that is anything in the stylesheets that's initially established but then completely changed in a subsequent directive. It's things like that which can cause rendering to be less smooth. Another part of this is to attempt to avoid inline style. I see a lot of that. these sorts of things are ideally declared in the stylesheet and applied to individual elements by giving them a class name or id.

I will try to have a closer look later to see if any other obvious, or not so obvious issue(s) pop up.

Of course, once any changes like these are made, the browser cache may need to be cleared, and/or the pages refreshed in order to see changes. And again, MAKE SURE to keep backups of the pages before you begin, just in case anything you do causes a problem that didn't previously exist.

Also, if you do all these things and still have a problem, try starting a new thread on the issue, as others might have more to contribute, and might not notice the turn this thread has taken.
    - John