Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change table cell background color based on time of day ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

Played around with this even more. Think I'm finished now. This requires/uses only hours and minutes, and can have as many times as you want. Colors may be repeated later with different times. Times should be sequential and fit into/cover a 24 hour period:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title></title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    </head>
    <body>
    <table id="thetable">
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <script>
    (function(){ // anonymous function wrapper keeps variable and function names out of the global scope
    	var timespans = { // use as many timespans as you want, colors can repeat later with different times, if you run out of letters, you can start over with a1, b1, etc.
    		a: {bgc: "red", start: '0:00', end: '10:05'}, // {bgc: "color", start: 'hour:minute', end: 'hour:minute'}
    		b: {bgc: "blue", start: '10:06', end: '18:15'},
    		c: {bgc: "#00ff00", start: '18:16', end: '23:01'},
    		d: {bgc: "lightblue", start: '23:02', end: '23:59'}
    	}, c, units = ['Hours', 'Minutes', 'Seconds'], the_table = document.getElementById('thetable').style;
    	for (c in timespans) {if(timespans[c].bgc){timespans[c].start += ':00'; timespans[c].end += ':59';}} // automatically add seconds to start and end times
    	function tomillis(cdtime){ // converts start and end colon delimited times to milliseconds since 1970/01/01
    		cdtime = cdtime.split(':');
    		var d = new Date(), l = cdtime.length, t = -1;
    		while(++t < l){
    			d['set' + units[t]](+cdtime[t]);
    		}
    		return d.getTime();
    	}
    	function changetablebg(){
    		var curtime = new Date().getTime(), lim; // current milliseconds since 1970/01/01, var to later hold the current end time
    		for (c in timespans) { // check each timespan to find a match
    			if(timespans[c].bgc && (lim = tomillis(timespans[c].end)) >= curtime && curtime >= tomillis(timespans[c].start)){
    				the_table.backgroundColor = timespans[c].bgc; // if found, set table bg to timespan's bgc
    				setTimeout(changetablebg, lim - curtime + 1500); // run changetablebg one and a half seconds after current end time
    				break;
    			}
    		}
    	}
    	changetablebg(); // initial run of the changetablebg function
    })(); // end anonymous function wrapper
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>
    Ooops, I may have spoken too soon. I just got an idea for an improvement, but will have to mess with it later. But this should do for now.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 09-11-2017 at 05:21 AM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

balki (09-18-2017)

Thanks

Looking good John except that you are only using a single cell table. The OP wanted different cells of a multi-celled table to change background colours at certain times, so that needs to be built into your "timespans" array. Also, when a cell changes colour all the other cells should revert to their original background colour as per my origin simple demo.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to styxlawyer For This Useful Post:

balki (09-18-2017),jscheuer1 (09-11-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by styxlawyer View Post
    Looking good John except that you are only using a single cell table. The OP wanted different cells of a multi-celled table to change background colours at certain times, so that needs to be built into your "timespans" array. Also, when a cell changes colour all the other cells should revert to their original background colour as per my origin simple demo.
    "timespans" is an object, but I think an array would be better. I've been playing around with both.

Like I said, I didn't read the thread. That (targeting td's sequentially with the rest of the td's reverting) would be simple to add. I'll do it soon, thanks. But what's this supposed to look like? A Christmas tree? (Just kidding about the tree, I think, would be a funny looking Christmas tree, right?) How often do the colors change? Do they indicate anything, or are they just for show?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

balki (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK, think I've got all that covered:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title></title>
    <style type="text/css">
    #td0 {background-color: orange;}
    #td1 {background-color: brown;}
    #td2 {background-color: black;}
    #td3 {background-color: purple;}
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <table id="thetable">
    <tr>
    <td id="td0">&nbsp;</td><td id="td1">&nbsp;</td><td id="td2">&nbsp;</td><td id="td3">&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <script>
    "use strict";
    (function(){ // anonymous function wrapper keeps variable and function names out of the global scope
    	var timespans = [ // use as many timespans as you want, colors can repeat later with different times and/or td num
    		{td: 1, bgc: "red", start: '0:00', end: '10:05'}, // {td: 0 index td num, bgc: "color", start: 'hour:minute', end: 'hour:minute'}
    		{td: 3, bgc: "blue", start: '10:06', end: '18:15'},
    		{td: 2, bgc: "#00ff00", start: '18:16', end: '23:01'},
    		{td: 0, bgc: "lightblue", start: '23:02', end: '23:59'}
    	], c, units = ['Hours', 'Minutes', 'Seconds'], the_tds = document.getElementById('thetable').getElementsByTagName('td'), curtd;
    	for (c in timespans) {if(timespans[c].bgc){timespans[c].start += ':00'; timespans[c].end += ':59';}} // automatically add seconds to start and end times
    	function tomillis(cdtime){ // converts start and end colon delimited times to milliseconds since 1970/01/01
    		var d = new Date(), l = cdtime.length, t = -1;
    		while(++t < l){
    			d['set' + units[t]](+cdtime[t]);
    		}
    		return d.getTime();
    	}
    		var curtime = new Date().getTime(), lim; // current milliseconds since 1970/01/01, var to later hold the current end time
    		for (c in timespans) { // check each timespan to find a match
    			if(timespans[c].bgc && (lim = tomillis(timespans[c].end)) >= curtime && curtime >= tomillis(timespans[c].start)){
    				if(curtd){curtd.backgroundColor = '';}
    				curtd = the_tds[timespans[c].td].style;
    				curtd.backgroundColor = timespans[c].bgc; // if found, set table bg to timespan's bgc
    				setTimeout(changetablebg, lim - curtime + 1500); // run changetablebg one and a half seconds after current end time
    				break;
    			}
    		}
    	}
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>
    Might still need tweaking and/or benefit from improvements. Also, still curious about my previous questions -

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    . . . what's this supposed to look like? A Christmas tree? (Just kidding about the tree, I think, would be a funny looking Christmas tree, right?) How often do the colors change? Do they indicate anything, or are they just for show?
    - John

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

balki (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

And now, I think the final tweak (I've tried to comment the code adequately, but if anyone has any questions about any particular part of it, feel free to ask):

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title></title>
    <style type="text/css">
    /* set each td's default bg color in a stylesheet by id, or use a class or descendant selector if you want them all to default to the same bg color */
    #td0 {background-color: orange;}
    #td1 {background-color: brown;}
    #td2 {background-color: black;}
    #td3 {background-color: purple;}
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <table id="thetable">
    <tr>
    <td id="td0">&nbsp;</td><td id="td1">&nbsp;</td><td id="td2">&nbsp;</td><td id="td3">&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <script>
    "use strict";
    	var timespans = [ // use as many timespans as you want, colors can repeat later with different times and/or td num, times should be sequential
    		{td: 1, bgc: "red", start: '0:00', end: '10:05'}, // {td: 0 index td num, bgc: "color", start: 'hour:minute', end: 'hour:minute'}
    		{td: 3, bgc: "blue", start: '10:06', end: '18:15'},
    		{td: 2, bgc: "#00ff00", start: '18:16', end: '23:01'},
    		{td: 0, bgc: "lightblue", start: '23:02', end: '23:59'}
    	], c = timespans.length, tsl = c, units = ['Hours', 'Minutes', 'Seconds'], // get timespans length, establish units for 'tomillis' conversion
    		the_tds = document.getElementById('thetable').getElementsByTagName('td'), curtd = {}; // reference the td's, establish var for current td (for later use)
    	while (--c > -1) {timespans[c].start += ':00'; timespans[c].end += ':59';} // add seconds to start and end times for more precise processing
    		var d = new Date(), t = -1;
    		while(++t < 3){	d['set' + units[t]](+cdtime[t]);}
    		return d.getTime();
    	}
    		while (++c < tsl) { // check timespan to find a match
    			if((lim = tomillis(timespans[c].end)) >= curtime && curtime >= tomillis(timespans[c].start)){
    				curtd.backgroundColor = ''; // revert previous td (if any) bg to it's default as set in style section
    				curtd = the_tds[timespans[c].td].style; // save refernece to current td
    				curtd.backgroundColor = timespans[c].bgc; // if found, set corresponding td's bg color to timespan's bgc
    				c = -1; // reset c for next run through
    				setTimeout(changetablebg, lim - curtime + 1500); // run again at one and a half seconds after lim (current end time)
    				break; // we've got a match, stop processing
    			}
    		}
    	}
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 09-16-2017 at 04:28 AM. Reason: add more comments
    - John

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

balki (09-18-2017)

Thanks

That looks good, John.

I'm not sure what the OP's intention is as he/she seems to more of a lurker only coming back to the thread very occasionally.

Thanks

Thank you very much for the help!
    I am still adjusting the code using the information provided in the topic.
    When I finish the code I will write again.