Thread: Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow Validate Error

Thanks

Default Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow Validate Error

1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow v2.6

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: I am in the process of transferring several dozen slideshows from my old site to a new site. The slide show works great, thanks to some help from you folks, but I get a validation error:

Here is an example, when I try to validate the following page: http://wildadirondacks.org/loggers-loop-trail.html

Error: The text content of element script was not in the required format: Expected asterisk or slash but found w instead.
    From line 131, column 1; to line 131, column 9
    *******/↩↩</script>↩↩<scr

Here is the code around line 131:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="fadeslideshow.js">

/***********************************************
    * Ultimate Fade In Slideshow v2.0- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
    * Please keep this notice intact
    * Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for this script and 100s more
    ***********************************************/

</script>

<script type="text/javascript">

var mygallery3=new fadeSlideShow({
    	wrapperid: "fadeshow4", //ID of blank DIV on page to house Slideshow
    	dimensions: ['100%', 411], //width/height of gallery in pixels. Should reflect dimensions of largest image
    		imagearray: [
    I cannot figure out what it is that is annoying the validator. Please tell me what I should do to fix the code.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure that's a mistake on the validator's part. but I've given up trying to argue with the folks who make them. It thinks parts of the address in the comment should be the end of the comment, and if so, they're malformed, but they're not, they're just part of the comment's content, and a legal part as far as I know, so it should just let it go. In any case you can get rid of the error by explicitly commenting out the entire block line by line:

Code:
    //***********************************************
    //* Ultimate Fade In Slideshow v2.0- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
    //* Please keep this notice intact
    //* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for this script and 100s more
    //***********************************************/
    As far as I know, this is only a "problem" in the HTML 5 validator. At least that's where it first cropped up, never used to be an issue in any of the validators. I don't know if it's technically correct for that DOCTYPE or what.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

ellenjones6 (03-03-2017)

Thanks

Well, that was easy! No more validation error. Many thanks!

I have always wondered about validation. When I started doing web sites, I read all those officious pages that warned me in authoritative terms of the importance of validation, so I obediently validate every time I update. If I get an error message, I try to fix it. Or, more accurately, I come whining to you guys to fix it for me. If I get a warning, I am less worried, so (unless I can fix it in a jiffy), I usually just ignore it. Am I being too casual about this? Should I track down and correct every warning? I ask because I am getting two warning messages for every page, having to do with making sure I have a heading in every section. I have been just ignoring them.

What do you think?

Thanks again for the quick response and the quick fix. I love it when a fix is two keystrokes away!

ellen

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's more SEO and/or "best practices" than validation. It's good to have a heading for each section. It allows search engines (and often people as well) to more easily understand the organization of the page and what points are being emphasized.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

ellenjones6 (03-03-2017)