Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gAjax RSS Feeds Displayer v2.1 - Atom feeds arent shown

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK, all set, here are the new files for those other two scripts:

gajaxticker-new.js

gajaxscroller-new.js

Mmm, but now that I've looked at these two scripts, I've found a fairly easy way to add the regex functionality to them for description, title, and/or full feed. I also noticed that the stripping of tags (as is done when limiting characters), if done to the title field, will strip the links, so I changed that to only strip tags from the title itself. And I see that stripping tags from the description in that manner will strip the br tag that the formatting function itself puts in there, so changed that to preserve the formatting. I'm not completely finished with these additional changes but will have them shortly. I changed the regexprules array to an object in order to do this, so the gfeedfetcher script changes slightly as well. Usage is the same though.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-02-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: code improvement, add info
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Now I've really got it. Here's a zip with all the new files, up to date. They're all cross compatible with the older versions, though some features might not work unless all of the latest versions are used, but at least there should be no errors. New features include regex across all three scripts. Only title, date, and description fields can be singled out in the scroller and ticker. All three scripts can use regex on the entire feed. The gefeedfetcher script has availability of each field as originally designed for it as regards regex. Previous updates to gfeedfetch that I made are maintained and extended to the scroller and ticker:

gfeed-update.zip
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-03-2017 at 01:51 AM. Reason: minor code improvement to attachment
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

Awesome, thanks so much John! I've done a preliminary test run of the updated .js files across the 3 scripts, and they seem to work without issues. I'll double check everything this weekend, then post the new .js files to the site. Is there any glaring documentation that needs to be updated btw?
    DD Admin

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Glaring, no. But I think the we should let folks know the extra capabilities of:

Code:
    limitlength() still works mostly as originally designed. New options - even if the entry is already short enough, all tags
    can still be stripped from the field if a third parameter is set to true, ex:

instance.limitlength(175, 'descriptionfield', true)

Instead of providing a number limit, one can opt for the keyword 'strip'. If one does so, the
    result is that tags are stripped from the field but no limit is imposed, ex:

instance.limitlength('strip', 'descriptionfield')
    And that, of course if one is using an ATOM feed, it must be specified in the addFeed entry:

Code:
    freeform.addFeed("Babblefish", "http://bblfish.net/blog/blog.atom", "atom") //Specify "label" plus URL to feed, optional feed type, defaults to "rss" - "atom" is the other option
    Finally, we should let them know that for the ticker and scroller they can now use addregexp(). The usage is the same as with gfeedfetcher. But in the scroller and ticker they're limited to using it on titlefield, datefield, descriptionfield, or on the entire feed (as in fetcher, by not specifying the field).

But I don't think any of that is essential, except maybe the part about needing to specify 'atom' for an ATOM feed.

Edit: Also added are routines that more evenly distribute an uneven number of 'items to show' over the selected feeds, and ones to detect the base url of the feed and use it to complete the feed's items' links if it's determined they're relative links. Another change is that regexps added via addregexp() for specific fields are no longer deleted when used. So they are available to be reused with a subsequent init() or however one might choose.

I also just added an update to my updated gfeedfetcher-prot.js file that detects earlier versions of the ticker and scroller scripts and enables them to work with it (not miss the date):

gfeedfetcher-prot.js
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-04-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    - John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks again John for all your work, I've updated the three scripts to use the new .js files, plus updated the documentation for each script accordingly:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...sdisplayer.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...xrssticker.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...sescroller.htm
    DD Admin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ddadmin For This Useful Post:

jscheuer1 (02-10-2017)

Thanks

Hello

I have the same issue the script is not fetching any longer because according to my hosting provider is due to this: "This API is officially deprecated and will stop working after December 15th, 2016." See our deprecation policy in our Terms of Service for details. Even in your site the script doesn't work anymore it just displays the image: Retrieving RSS feed(s). Is Dynamic drive aware of this? Please tells what to do I am at a lost here I have 12 sites with so many pages that uses your RSS feed script! on of the sites is this one: http://browseshopbuy.com/automobile-industry-informational-web-page
    with all do respect
    Oscar Medina
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-10-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: format

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oscardd View Post
    Hello

I have the same issue the script is not fetching any longer because according to my hosting provider is due to this: "This API is officially deprecated and will stop working after December 15th, 2016." See our deprecation policy in our Terms of Service for details. Even in your site the script doesn't work anymore it just displays the image: Retrieving RSS feed(s). Is Dynamic drive aware of this? Please tells what to do I am at a lost here I have 12 sites with so many pages that uses your RSS feed script! on of the sites is this one: http://browseshopbuy.com/automobile-industry-informational-web-page
    with all do respect
    Oscar Medina
    Use the updated script(s) that have now been added to the Dynamic Drive library, replacing the ones that used to use the now deprecated API.

If you want more help, please let us know specifically which DD script(s) you're using and provide a link to the page on your site that shows the problem.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-10-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: add info
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddadmin View Post
    Thanks again John for all your work, I've updated the three scripts to use the new .js files, plus updated the documentation for each script accordingly:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...sdisplayer.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...xrssticker.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...sescroller.htm
    Thanks DD! Two minor things I noticed:

1.) I did add the regex functionality to the two sister scripts (scroller and ticker), but omitted labelfield as an option since the label is set in the addFeed function and it seemed superfluous to alter an item that's completely under the script's user's control to begin with. It's not a big deal. I doubt many will even try to use that for either the scroller or ticker - still works for the fetcher script. But I can add it to those (scroller and ticker) or you can remove it from their documentation, or we can just let the mystery be - something for us to deal with in the forums. As I say, not a big deal, unless you think so.

2.) With gfeedfetcher.js only, there was added an instance.feedwritten() function. This fires just after the feed or feed group is written to the page, as opposed to when it's initialized (instance.onfeedload), which fires before the DOM part of the feed is written. - Again, no big deal, something very few users would want and can be dealt with/explained in the forums if it arises.

Just wanted you to know. Everything else looks great! If I notice anything else important or otherwise (both of which I think doubtful), I'll let you know.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-10-2017 at 03:15 AM. Reason: elaborate slightly
    - John

Thanks

Hello,

I am testing here: tiendanovios.com is fetching some of it; images are missing, description.

What I did? I was told to just upload the new getfeedfether and to replaced the api reference.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I see that the gajaxticker.js script you're using is not only the old version, but a really old version. My suggestion would be to update to the current version of that script as well (right click and 'save as'):

gajaxticker.js

Use that instead of your current gajaxticker.js script.

The browser cache may have to be cleared, and/or the page refreshed to see changes. Let me know if there are still problems.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-11-2017 at 06:12 AM. Reason: saw how old the ticker version was
    - John