Thread: I can't access my server anymore

Thanks

Default I can't access my server anymore

I have several websites set up in Dreamweaver all with different urls but hosted on the same server space. The last time I successfully uploaded files to the server was at the beginning of October '16. I tried today but just got a timeout error and could not connect.

I am using a Mac with OSX 10.6.8, accessing via wifi.

I have tried connecting via an online FTPtest site, Filezilla & ClassicFTP but without any success.

I have tried toggling the check boxes (Dreamweaver settings) for Use Passive FTP,
    Use Proxy…,
    Use FTP performance optimisation...
    as suggested in the Dreamweaver error pop-up box

I have tried with the Mac firewall both on and off.

For what it's worth, I have back ups on Time Machine and also I backed up the sites in Dreamweaver.

Assuming all my p/w, u/n, server & host details are correct does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just heard a similar story on the radio earlier today. No guarantee this is your solution. What they ended up doing (after two days) was unplugging their router and plugging it back in again about a minute later. Took care of it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

jhatter (10-31-2016)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Maybe the web host is doing maintenance work? Do they have a notification area in your control panel where they post alerts/news? Or a forum to check for other user feedback. Another idea could be to check their Twitter and Facebook pages and check for messages regarding the issue there.

Give it a day and check again. The issue may be resolved. If it isn't, email the host to ask if anything has changed regarding their setup.

What about your password? Have you changed it recently? Might be worth doing that. I had it happen on one of my accounts where the server was upgraded and the host changed the passwords for everything, so I had to go around changing them all to something more secure according to their new policies (databases, email, FTP).

Another thing you can try is to temporarily disable your firewalls.
    Focus on Function Web Design
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beverleyh For This Useful Post:

jhatter (10-31-2016)

Thanks

Thank you both for your replies.

I tried at work today, to see if it was my home router/wifi but I couldn't get access on the work network at 8.30am. I have just tried and got an ftp connection to my server - so all's well that ends well.

I spent ages yesterday on the online help with hostpapa, all I got was generic replies and the fact that because they could get onto my server space it wasn't their problem!! Like you say, I think they were doing maintenance work on a Sunday but didn't want to admit to it. I think this might be the final straw with Hostpapa, but the thought of moving all my websites and email accounts to another host scares me a bit... better the devil you know!