Thread: Linux users, obscure browser users -- your assistance requested!

Thanks

Default Linux users, obscure browser users -- your assistance requested!

Hi, I was just curious to find out if my site looks half-way decent in browsers that I don't have installed on my computers (I check FF/IE/Opera/Safari on Mac and FF/Opera/IE 6 on Windows). Yes, if you have IE 5 on windows, I'd love to hear from you! Yes, if you have WebTV (hahhhahahaa) I'd love to hear from you!

Also, I'm sorry to lump Linux users with "obscure browsers" -- I should have worded that better .

Here are screenshots illustrating what the site is "supposed" to look like:

* Screenshot on Mac (FF)
    * Screenshot on PC/Windows (IE)

And here is a live test page (how does it look in your browser?):

* Test Page (live)

Please list some basic OS & Browser specs when posting. If you are so inclined, screenshots would be wonderful as well (if possible).
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by esteban; 03-01-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Also, I'm sorry to lump Linux users with "obscure browsers" -- I should have worded that better .
    Hmph!

Here (while I'm online, my hosting account needs sorting out) are screenshots in:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060215 Firefox/1.5.0.1

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20060215 Epiphany/1.8.3

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; X11; Linux x86_64; en) Opera 8.51

Links (2.1pre17; Linux 2.6.15-ck3-r1 x86_64)

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux; X11; x86_64) KHTML/3.5.1 (like Gecko)

Sorry there aren't more, I installed a different distro recently and haven't built up my usual collection of odd and occasionally useless browsers. If you can't access them, PM me with your address and I'll email them to you.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esteban
    Yes, if you have IE 5 on windows, I'd love to hear from you!
    Multiple versions of IE can co-exist in the same Windows installation. Download the standalone versions from evolt.org. Note that there are limitations, though:

• Using the Location Bar and the Favourites menu (just opening it!) can lead to crashes in some of the versions. However, you can always use the Open item in the File menu (or press Ctrl+O) to enter a URL.
    • Cookies can be read by the standalone versions, but they cannot be created or modified.
    • Some of the filter effects (which use DirectX interfaces) won't work.
    • The About information (from the Help menu) will display information for your integrated IE version, only. The User-Agent header is reported properly, though.
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwinter
    Multiple versions of IE can co-exist in the same Windows installation. Download the standalone versions from evolt.org. Note that there are limitations, though:

• Using the Location Bar and the Favourites menu (just opening it!) can lead to crashes in some of the versions. However, you can always use the Open item in the File menu (or press Ctrl+O) to enter a URL.
    • Cookies can be read by the standalone versions, but they cannot be created or modified.
    • Some of the filter effects (which use DirectX interfaces) won't work.
    • The About information (from the Help menu) will display information for your integrated IE version, only. The User-Agent header is reported properly, though.
    Mike
    Aha! I had major crashes/freezes when I had IE 5x and IE 6x installed on my PC... so I simply dumped IE 5x. Dare I download it again? (rhetorical question )

Thanks for clearly spelling out how I can have both IE versions installed simultaneously.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Hmph!

Here (while I'm online, my hosting account needs sorting out) are screenshots in:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060215 Firefox/1.5.0.1

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20060215 Epiphany/1.8.3

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; X11; Linux x86_64; en) Opera 8.51

Links (2.1pre17; Linux 2.6.15-ck3-r1 x86_64)

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux; X11; x86_64) KHTML/3.5.1 (like Gecko)

Sorry there aren't more, I installed a different distro recently and haven't built up my usual collection of odd and occasionally useless browsers. If you can't access them, PM me with your address and I'll email them to you.
    Yes! Thank you, I can't wait to see the screenshots. PM sent.

Thanks again!