Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Assigning entered times to marks that are colour coded for time frame

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

Still busy, but here's your modified KML file (the shortened version of the original one you provided that I used in the latest demo - it could be had by looking at the source code of the demo, it's the url value for the $.ajax call). I'm sure you will see that now that I've just told you, but just in case that's still a bit of mystery, here's a direct link to it (right click and 'save as'):

http://jscheuer1.com/mapdemos/polypl...ate/kwoods.kml

In some browsers, just clicking on it will initiate the download. If not, as I say - right click and 'save as'.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thats great thank you. I noticed that Bedfordshire is missing in the dropdown menu you created in your last demo. I understand if your busy I just wanted you to see what I had done to show you that I am slowly learning from you and with your help.
    With regards to creating a JS file for all the latlng for the county border lines is no point as the size of the file would be massive and the loading time rediculous. Just thought to point that out lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What's in the drop down is what's in the KML file. I'm thinking, unless I took it out for some reason (not intentionally) or it's there and is just not getting read (again for some reason), um I think you just didn't have it there in the first place. I noticed other things missing - Cornwall for example. Many others. Some of this was due to you using larger (legislative perhaps) regional areas to designate several ceremonial counties, but some of it just looked to me as though you skipped areas that were outlined already by virtue of being between other areas that were already specifically included. This last is what I think is the reason so many areas have no mention in the file, and one of the reasons it's so small.

Not to worry. I've been working on the UK Data Service file. The one that was originally a bit over 80 thousand K. I have it down to about 4,243 K. It doesn't load as fast as your slimmed down file, but it's pretty quick, allows for colored polygons and popup labels on click of a county on the map, as well as a much more comprehensive drop down list. I think I may be able to improve on it some more, but for now, let me know what you think:

http://jscheuer1.com/mapdemos/polypl...exmoukkmld.htm

The polygons could be just outlines, all black at that. But, since there's information for shading (unlike the previous black line demo), why not use the colors?

Oh, one other tidbit I noticed earlier about these demos - if you use the Google Chrome browser, generally things seem to load up faster. I think that's because it's a Google API, so the Google browser handles it better - makes sense.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Looks really good thank you. Again could I have that fill too please. Through the source code it does not allow me to click on it down download.
    I am really greatful for what you have done. It is as I said looking really good.
    With regards to just black lines like you said, what would I need to do to make that happen (just to compare the difference as that was my general first idea)
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK, I just updated it slightly to include a button which can toggle all of the overlays off and on. I also made a slight change so that there's a timeout holding back the writing of the drop down list to the page, this should make the overlays appear first, while the "Loading . . ." message is still being displayed. Might add a second or two overall, but worth it for esthetic's reasons I think. I also added cache: false to the $ajax call. That's because I had been playing with the imported file a lot and wanted to make sure the latest version was always used. If you change that to true, it should (well could) speed up loading considerably on repeat loads. Here's the direct link to the KML file:

http://jscheuer1.com/mapdemos/polypl...nd_ct_2011.kml

I knocked it down a little more, not much. I had seen this big rectangle coming out of Bristol. I assumed it was either an error or a shipping lane, so I had taken it away. But later I noticed that most of the other counties that border large bodies of water had some inclusions there of those bodies in their borders, I guess for recreation, and/or commercial use. Since Bristol is I believe a major port, it would make sense that they have jurisdiction over this part of the waterway, so I put it back. This actually made for a smaller footprint in the file while at the same time a larger one on the map. That's because I didn't have to be as careful of my edits when compressing it's coordinates. If you want the version without that waterway annex for Bristol, let me know. I still have it and it's only like 20 K or less larger. But the more I think about it, I think having it there is more accurate.
    - John

Thanks

Thank you. I really appreciate all your help with this. Its brilliant, wish I could do all this with as ease as you. Hopefully one day I will with your help and guidence. If you don't mind of course?

Could I please have the link to your updated version, as I looked at your last link and could not see the 'toggle on/off' button? Thank you again
    Last edited by kwood30; 03-22-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's there (the last address I gave - pretty sure):

http://jscheuer1.com/mapdemos/polypl...exmoukkmld.htm

You may have to refresh the page though, maybe not now, enough time has passed. (Also, be aware, my host has some latency sometimes - that is the server itself caches outgoing pages, this usually doesn't last for very long though)

I also updated the kml file, same address - clear your cache before trying to download it again. - fixed an issue where the the popup for Hackney in London was appearing far north and a bit to the West in I think Lincolnshire (or maybe Derbyshire - either way, far off the mark). Seems there's also a place named Hackney there as well. So I changed the name in the data file from "Hackney" to "Hackney County London", that fixed it. There were a few others like that, but I took care of them a while ago. There might be more. I've also been going through the map checking for other problems like that and setting colors differently in cases where two adjacent counties are the same color. No way of knowing if I have them all yet, but it's likely that there are not too many more left. I'll keep updating the file if and when I find more and/or find other improvements.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 03-23-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: add server cache parenthetical
    - John

Thanks

Brilliant, Looks great, Thank you soooo much for your help on this, much appreciated.
    I am sure, I will have some more projects soon lol the best way to learn. If you'll be happy to help if/when I do I waould appreciate it.