What I'm going for is putting out HTML5 and being as w3 valid as possible.

This is what I got for it to register as HTML5 so far:

<xsl:output method="html" doctype-system="about:legacy-compat" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

This is the markup I have so far:

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL" />
<meta name="GOOGLEBOT" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" />
and this is what it spits out

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL"></meta><meta name="GOOGLEBOT" content="INDEX, FOLLOW"></meta>

The hangup is that if I do NOT have the output as "html" and instead as "XML", the entire document goes blank due to me attempting to call in a jQuery library and the document changing this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js"></script>
To this

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js" />
Breaking the entire document.

I've tried finding people that have the same issue, but it always seems like they want the ending tags to show up.