Thread: Jim's DHTML Menu v5.7 -Float Problem

Thanks

Question Jim's DHTML Menu v5.7 -Float Problem

Am having problems making Jim's menu float, despite using the suggested code. Any bright ideas?

Thanks

I too am having problems with getting Jim's menu to float even using the code he supplied. I posted this same question two or three days ago and never got a reply from anyone..... I will keep watch here and maybe we will hear from someone!

Thanks

Question Jim's DHTML Menu

Thanks for that useful information. Let's hope Jim pop's his head in now and again??

Thanks

Default problem with this script

I have a problem with this code. I donīt use the float possibility, but I canīt put the position of the menu depending on the resolution of the screen.

Could anyone help me??

I've tried to enter javascript code to correct the position and the menu disappear. What could be the problem??

Thanks a lot

Thanks

Smile

I have this same menu here: www.astonishingskincare.com and it's positioned relatively. In the config.js, add this piece of code to the bottom of the first "menu section": menus[0].floatMenu(1024, 768, 0, 0);

Make sure to substitute your own screen resolution for the 1024 and 768. Try that and see how it works.

I have a question for you guys too - I have another menu with the code below in the .js menu and need to find out how to make it positioned relatively. Do you guys have any ideas? I already searched for it on Dynamic Drive.

/**
    * mm_menu 20MAR2002 Version 6.0
    * Andy Finnell, March 2002
    * Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Macromedia, Inc.
    * based on menu.js
    * by gary smith, July 1997
    * Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Netscape Communications Corp.
    * Netscape grants you a royalty free license to use or modify this
    * software provided that this copyright notice appears on all copies.
    * This software is provided "AS IS," without a warranty of any kind.
    */

function Menu(label, mw, mh, fnt, fs, fclr, fhclr, bg, bgh, halgn, valgn, pad, space, to, sx, sy, srel, opq, vert, idt, aw, ah)
    {
    this.version = "020320 [Menu; mm_menu.js]";
    this.type = "Menu";
    this.menuWidth = mw;
    this.menuItemHeight = mh;
    this.fontSize = fs;
    this.fontWeight = "plain";
    this.fontFamily = fnt;
    this.fontColor = fclr;
    this.fontColorHilite = fhclr;
    this.bgColor = "#555555";

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks kwilson for the info. Unfortunately we usually can't help out with scripts we didn't write, since we're not very familiar with its workings, especially more complex scripts like this one. So users will just have to experiment a bit to get a advertised feature to work...

Thanks

I've had this problem. When I used 1024 x 768 upwards, the float worked fine. However when I switched to 800 x 600 it went awry.

I resolved the issue by switching to screen resolution 800 x 600 then editing config.js so that the menu was positioned correctly, then updated the float command to menus[0].floatMenu(800, 600, 10, 0).

This works fine. The menu remained constant at 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 and upwards. It seems that if you edit at a lower screen size it resolves the problem.

Mike Gibbs.

Thanks

Thanks a bunch, Mike. This is the solution. If you set it up the way you want on 800x600 and put in the line you said, the 1024 floats it in the same area. A little bit over from where you had it, but not too bad.

Unfortunately, you can't make it perfect in 1024 and then back down and have it look decent. Thanks Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default position what?

I've run into this type of problem designing pages. Both absolute and relative positioning are relative when it comes to overall screen size and how things look in relation to one another. The only way I know to get it consistent, or better yet, as you want it in each resolution would be to check the client's resolution and supply different positioning based on each resolution.

Thanks

Thumbs down

I am having the same issue. I reduced my screen res to 800 X 600 and rewrote the script for the resolutions, and when i go to the website on another computer with higher screen res, it is still way out of wack. Take a look at www.bertsguideservice.com Does anyone have another dhtml menu script that will work across all resolutions? Please advise.