Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internalized Web Browser

Thanks

Lightbulb Internalized Web Browser

Hey guys, I've been trying to make an internalized web browser, but I am dumb and I don't know how. What it is so far is basically this:

HTML Code:
    <form>
    <iframe name="FreeScreen" height="100%" width="100%">
    Error! Your browser doesn't support inline frames. What's up with that?</frame></p>
    <p>
    <input type="text" name="Browserbar" size="53">
    <input type="submit" value="Go" name="Go">
    <input type="button" value="Back" name="Back" action=">
    <input type="button" value="Forward" name="Forward"></p>
    </form>
    Yeah, it's just the blank form so far, I just started making it. Any help with the scripting would be appreciated. And yes, I know pretty close to nothing about Javascript. But it's a good idea, I guess. Especially for those wishing to remain anonymous in which websites they go to, or at least keep it a bit more private.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Especially for those wishing to remain anonymous in which websites they go to, or at least keep it a bit more private.
    Not at all. This isn't a proxy; the connection isn't routed through your server. It's still a normal connection from the client to the server, and no more anonymous than any other connection.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Good thought, but what Twey says is right. If you want to play with proxies, look into PHP. I wrote a very simple script that does the same kinda thing, but does do it with a proxy, based on a get variable for the URL. (However, it doesn't display images and such, since it just gets the html text.)

Your code also has errors, like <iframe>....</frame>, a close </p> tag with no open (unless it's earlier in the page), a single quote to define the action of a button AND there is no attribute 'action' for a button, just for the form itself.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Yes, Twey and djr33 are right. Use the <noframes></noframes> tag in replace of this, the tags you use aren't closed properly:

Code:
    Error! Your browser doesn't support inline frames. What's up with that?</frame></p>
    <p>
    Should be:
    Code:
    <noframes>Error! Your browser doesn't support inline frames. What's up with that?</noframes>
    - Mike

Thanks

Well, doesn't need to be.

As long as he used iframe tags on both ends, the text in the middle will be displayed if the browser doesn't support iframes. The browser would ignore the contents of the tag and not know better than to display the text within. In fact, (though the same principal would work, so that could be ok too), <noframes> almost seems to rely upon the browser recognizing the tag, though, if it didn't, it would act as if there were no tag and just display text.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Yeah, I haven't been fiddling around with web design in a while. Sorry. And I'm too lazy (and a bit Internet-deprived, I'm doing this from school) to get Dreamweaver or anything good, so I'm stuck using Frontpage. And I've never realy been that good at double-checking my code, or remembering to...

Thanks

And also, the <iframe> tag is from the FrontPage plugin, it creates an inline frame, and I'm sure you can figure out what that is.

Thanks

Wait. Here's the complete code as FrontPage wrote it (yes, I'm a noob)

HTML Code:
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    </head>

<body>

<form method="POST" name="Browser" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" onSubmit="location.href='_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;" webbot-onSubmit>
      <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" u-file="_private/form_results.csv" s-format="TEXT/CSV" s-label-fields="TRUE" startspan --><input TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults" endspan i-checksum="43374" --><p>
      <iframe name="FreeScreen" height="100%" width="100%">
      Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames.</iframe></p>
      <p><input type="text" name="T1" size="53">
      <input type="submit" value="Go" name="Go">
      <input type="button" value="Back" name="Back">
      <input type="button" value="Forward" name="Forward"></p>
    </form>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

</body>

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 3,151 Posts
    Blog Entries

This last looks as though it is intended for a server that supports FP extensions. I had wanted to comment earlier that trying to make a mini-browser has been worked at before. I've never seen an implementation of this that used only javascript that was satisfactory for use by the general surfing public. There have been implementations done by/for an individual to enable them to surf in a customized fashion in - say IE 6, to allow for a sort of tabbed browsing in that browser.

The problem is that while one can mimic many of the behaviors of a browser using javascript, not all of them may be faithfully reproduced.

Here is a script that accepts the limitations of this approach while delivering a high degree of utility:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...bdocviewer.htm

It is not a mini-browser but, has many nice features.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

And I'm too lazy (and a bit Internet-deprived, I'm doing this from school) to get Dreamweaver or anything good, so I'm stuck using Frontpage.
    You've never managed to get a text editor working? A simple text editor (Notepad, for example) will work far better than Frontpage or the WYSIWYG mode of Dreamweaver (or any WYSIWYG editor, in fact). If you're feeling fancy, you can get something a bit more advanced, like Kate (KDE) or vim (just about anything; see also Cream [Windows]).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!