Thread: Any disadvantage to using subdomains

Thanks

Default Any disadvantage to using subdomains

I am making a website, just for personal stuff.

Basically I am learning javascript and dhtml etc and I want to try things out.

I found since I don't know where I am going with this site, it is easier, for my mind at least, to use subdomains.

Like for instance I know I want to use part of my site for pictures.

So like I have pics from last year. So I created a subdomain. Let's say I call it

pics2005.example.com (<--Not my website just an example)

Then I can create a new subdomain called

pics2006.example.com

My thinking is like this:

That way I can get each subdomain to my liking, and then link the subdomains to the main domain at example.com

My question is is there any disadvantage to doing this?

Right now since I am just learning and it's only a personal site, I really don't care in terms of search engine ranking. And since I can create 100 subdomains for free it costs nothing

But just as a general question, is there anything wrong with doing it like this?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No, there's no disadvantage to using subdomains. You can even "park" a subdomain (if the host allows it), resolving a normal domain name to it so it can be accessed from that domain as well as the subdomain. The only thing you won't be able to do is access one subdomain from a page stored on another using AJAX or Java.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!