Thread: Email Riddler (online tool)

Thanks

Post Email Riddler (online tool)

Email Riddler (online tool)

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

I have been using the email riddler online tool for some time, but just lately I have been receiving spam emails from those pages that contain the encrypted email address.

As the real email address is encrypted the only thing that may give it away is that it shows in the status bar when clicking on the Contact Us link.

Is there anyway the script can be altered to omit the email address being shown on the status bar or scramble the look of it.

Regards Jonnyray

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes, but there's no need to. It won't deter such bots -- or, more likely, humans -- that can understand the email address; they must have some form of Javascript parser (or be humans).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

H twey

So There's no point in using the Email Riddler tool then?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you don't use it (or something like it), you will just get tons more spam. In fact, the security breach of your email address most likely did not come from the page with your email address scrambled using email riddler, but from either something else you did with the address, like signing up for something, using it to register somewhere, etc. Possibly, someone saw your email address there and submitted it to the spammers directly. However, make no mistake, just because the human eye can see the address in the status bar does not mean that a bot can. In fact 99 to 100% of these bots (or spiders as they are sometimes called) cannot see it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hi John

The email address that’s on my webpage isn’t use for anything else, it’s used just to contact me, and I reply with another email address.

I did this because I use to receive tons of spam email with a previous address that was not encrypted.

Paul

Thanks
    Blog Entries

So There's no point in using the Email Riddler tool then?
    While it's not 100% effective, it's a fairly big step in the right direction - except that people without Javascript can't send you emails. The best thing to do, of course, is use a form on your site to send the email.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's a non-javascript encryptor, I've had success protecting addresses with it for years, occasionally I get spam, but nothing like what I receive on my primary which I never bothered protecting:

http://home.comcast.net/~ansiguy/emailen1.htm

The encryptor requires javascript to use it but, not to mail to the resulting encrypted address.

One thing you should remember though, spammers will occasionally send out emails that will go to anyone on a domain or anyone with an address close to one they concoct on a domain. No amount of scrambling can protect against that.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks John

I will give that non-javascript encryptor a go.

Cheers Paul

Twey

I'll try both ideas on my site and evaluate the best option

Cheers Paul