Thread: Need multiple columns in DD Smoothmenu v2 and (possible) bug fix...help!

Thanks

Default Need multiple columns in DD Smoothmenu v2 and (possible) bug fix...help!

Hi all, I just started an online business selling stock media, similar to the Pond5 and Video Hive web sites. My developers set me up with a Joomla-based site and installed the DD Smoothmenu v2. I am not with those developers right now and I need to make a couple of changes. First, I added a bunch of new categories in the dropdown, but each one is single column and I'm looking in the "ddsmoothmenu-v.css" file to make the changes, but the code confuses me with the "li" and "ul" elements. The developers may have also did some additional integration in some other CSS files, but I included the two major ones here as they are on my site:

ddsmoothmenu.cssddsmoothmenu-v.css

I'm pretty sure it is the "v" version. I just need to know how to make the drop downs with more than 25 items to be double or triple columns in the Smoothmenu drop down.

BUG FIX?:
    Also, whenever I shrink or restore any of the three major browsers, or if I go fullscreen on a preview video on the web site, the drop down goes CRAZY (lol). All categories automatically drop down and I'm forced to rollover them to make them go back to normal. Trust me, you'll see the bug. SO annoying! My developers would not touch it without requiring more money (which made me a little but angry), so I'm left to try to tackle this issue myself.

I also do not wish to reveal my web site on the thread, but I can give you some fun hints to find it. The web site name is two words put together. The first word means movement and rhymes with lotion. The second word is 3 letters long, begins with the letter "A," and is often the most important card in a card player's deck. I appreciate your confidentiality about my web site, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not aware of that problem on the demo page. This leads me to believe that your developers have already modified the script and/or placed it in a conflicting environment. I'm not even sure if this menu is the right fit for what you say you want. DD's Mega Menu might be better. But to get a columnar effect with this menu, you could probably arrange the items that way in the html portion of the code, being careful not to use elements that would compromise the script's ability to initialize, lay out, and operate the menu.

In any case, we can't diagnose something this complex without seeing it.

If you want more help, please include a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hi John, thanks so much for your response! The Mega Menu may very well be what I transition to...I sure wish that my developers didn't mess up the code like that. Oh well, in any case, I'm not going to go any farther with this until I know the script is a clean version of your original. I will probably have new developers put in the Mega Menu. I do not wish to show my business web site link on any forums...I hope you understand this request as I want my business to appear a certain way to my stakeholders. But I CAN give it to you with some underscores and *s in it (just remove those): M_o*t_i*o_n*A_c*e_.*c*o_m

Thank you for helping me maintain the confidential nature of my web site, sir, and for your excellent advice!

Nate

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK, the page you 'linked to' isn't even using the latest version of the Smooth Menu script. It has as the latest update:

//** July 27th, 09" (v1.31): Fixed bug so shadows can be disabled if desired.
    The current version is up to (latest, many interim ones have been added as well):

//** Sept 22nd, 2013 (v2.2) Add vertical repositioning if sub menu will not fit in the viewable vertical area. May be turned off by setting
    // repositionv: false,
    //** in the init. Sub menus that are vertically repositioned will have the class 'repositionedv' added to them.
    See the script for more:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...dsmoothmenu.js

See also the current demo page:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks for that observation, John. I was indeed wondering if they were using the latest version or not...so, you confirmed this for me. Again, thanks. Hmmm...I wonder which way would be the easiest (and lowest cost) for me to implement...the Mega Menu or the latest version with the repositioning stuff? Any suggestions?