Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP support has ended

Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 3,201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Windows XP support has ended

For details see:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-support-help

where they mention that this puts your PC at risk and offers two options to fix that:

How do I stay protected?
    To stay protected now that support has ended, you have two options:

Upgrade your current PC

Get a new PC
    I think they missed at least one:

Use Opera, Chrome and/or Firefox as your browser(s) and get an anti-virus/anti-malware program not written by MS (like Malwarebytes and/or AVG), which if you're an XP user, are two things you should have done a long time ago.

Oh, but that wouldn't require you to pay MS and/or their licensors any money, so of course that's not mentioned.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

djr33 (04-30-2014)

Thanks

My university has implemented a policy where you are not supposed to use an XP computer on the network any more. I'm not exactly sure how they're enforcing this; it might be only for university-owned machines.

Personally I think it would be great to get back to XP rather than whatever nonsense Windows 8 is going for. Maybe the next one can be Windows XP2 and actually be designed with some sense?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In my experience, every other MS OS is seriously flawed. XP was good for its time, whatever they had right before that, was a mess, before that NT was good. After XP Vista sucked, Win 7 is pretty good and if you can run it is a great alternative to XP. I've had no use/need for 8 yet, but just on principle I'm hoping I can hold onto 7 until 9 or whatever's next comes out, which of course would require a new machine.

BTW, the university could enforce their no XP policy by (because the uA string is available with either javascript or PHP) querying the user's OS server and/or client side and kicking off any that come back as XP.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Use Opera, Chrome and/or Firefox as your browser(s) and get an anti-virus/anti-malware program not written by MS (like Malwarebytes and/or AVG)...
    Yes, see also this.

Thanks

I still use windows XP SP3. I do hear good things about 7 though.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I still have XP (SP3) on my old laptop. I was the last "great" version of windows, IMO. Everyone says 7 is good, but I could not stand being stuck using it for ten years.* Dealing with it on my son's netbook is bad enough. (Yesterday, it said, "could not connect to system event notification service" and just went to a black screen. Four hours wasted on that.) XP might be old, but it is damn stable.

I have 8.1 on my new laptop, but I use it very, very rarely.

* not that I'd be stuck with any version of windows, these days. : )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John
    BTW, the university could enforce their no XP policy by (because the uA string is available with either javascript or PHP) querying the user's OS server and/or client side and kicking off any that come back as XP.
    They COULD, but that would be really annoying of them. For example, I have an old netbook that still runs XP, and it's possible I'd like to use it on campus at some point. It's my only Windows computer at this point, not that I'm complaining
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

traq, what OS would you recommend then? Please don't say mac . Linux I can understand as a recommendation.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I use Linux, yes. I would recommend Mint or Ubuntu for Linux newbies (they're very similar). The average user will never outgrow them (I still use both and have no complaints). Both hardware and software support are very, very good these days. And, performance-wise, they will run circles around Windows on the same machine.

If you want more "nerd cred" with your Linux, try Arch. Be aware that you have to build/install basically everything, however. Doesn't even ship with a desktop/ window manager. But you can end up with a highly tuned and efficient machine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to traq For This Useful Post:

james438 (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Does 'nix do touch? Anyways, I've always sympathized with the view that the dumbed downed bloated OS's like Apple's and Ms'as were not for "real computing", but that's where the majority of it is being done in the real world. As long as I can see with certainty that what I'm writing will work with what most people are using, I will use that OS. I do think that once you're committed to a mainstream end user OS, some Win OS's have definitely been better than others. And it's like anything. It depends upon what you want to do with it and if the machine is set up properly to run it. Not knowing much about those sorts of things I tend to go for memory, processing power and disk space, as well as reliability in a machine, then I try not to run too much at one time on it. Inevitably I do though. I found Win 7 very resilient though, easy to back out of things if they're not working without losing much if any data. I only do some graphics, but when I do it can be pretty intense. The rest of the time I'm running 2 to 5 browsers and sometimes another OS in a VM. I Skype a fair amount and run a Wamp server (intranet only) almost all the time. I can't remember the last time the computer crashed. Occasionally a program will stop responding. Often that's due to code I wrote. Whether it is or not it's easy to kill that program. Only rarely is a reboot needed after that, but I do try to reboot at least once a week, usually with an update that happens anyway.
    - John