Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is causing this?

Thanks

Default What is causing this?

On my website I used a nice contrasting color for the borders on images that are links. I don't see them anymore. Is it IE11, a new java update, or something else. Can anyone please tell me if there's some setting I need to change? I want them back!

I'm just a novice as far as most tech stuff goes (can't even figure out how to use most of the new slideshows, etc.) and I don't understand how or why the html is completely overridden.

DebiR

Thanks

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

Otherwise your question is extremely vague
    Thanks,

Bud

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ajfmrf For This Useful Post:

DebiR (01-19-2014)

Thanks

It isn't just one page it's the entire website at http://www.opensalts.us. Here's one direct page link: http://opensalts.us/References/Catal...alogs-USA.html. Each image should have a light blue border indicating it is a link. They were all there before but now are just gone. I don't know if it's just me that doesn't see them and I need to change some settings on my computer, or if some recent change like IE11 or a Microsoft update or something else made them go away.

This is what I have been using with no recent changes to anything:
    HTML Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    body, td
       {
       color:#ffffff;
       background-color:#000066;
       font-family:arial;
       font-size:15pt;
       font-color:#ffffff
       }

a:link{color:#6699ff}
    a:visited{color:#ffffff}
    -->
    </style>
    Last edited by traq; 01-19-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: use bbcode tags to format your code.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DebiR View Post
    Each image should have a light blue border indicating it is a link.
    Which I can see, for example, in Chrome and Firefox.

They were all there before but now are just gone. I don't know if it's just me that doesn't see them and I need to change some settings on my computer, or if some recent change like IE11 or a Microsoft update or something else made them go away.
    Something changed. You mention IE11 - did you upgrade recently?

Have you checked your page in other browsers?

This is what I have been using with no recent changes to anything:
    HTML Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    body, td
       {
       color:#ffffff;
       background-color:#000066;
       font-family:arial;
       font-size:15pt;
       font-color:#ffffff
       }

a:link{color:#6699ff}
    a:visited{color:#ffffff}
    -->
    </style>
    Actually, it has nothing to do with that code, or that it is a link. What's causing that border is this:
    Code:
    <table cellpadding="20" style="border: 3px solid #0000ff">
    I don't see any reason IE11 wouldn't be respecting this. I don't have a copy to investigate, though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to traq For This Useful Post:

DebiR (01-19-2014)

Thanks

I know the royal blue (#0000ff) table border is there. I see that too. What I don't see is the border that goes around my image links (#6699ff) which is a light blue color. Each of the images on that page is a link but the colored border is not there.

There were Microsoft updates about the same time I upgraded to IE11 and I don't know exactly when the link borders disappeared but it has to be something like that because I have not changed my website pages. If all you see is the royal blue table border and not a light blue border around just the picture using a different browser then I'm guessing that IE11 isn't the problem, but whatever it is, it is common between our computers. What about Java updates? There is one of those every other month.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

In the past, IE erroneously applied boarders to linked images unless their border width was set to 0. With IE 11 this is no longer the case. If you want a border around an image now, even if it's linked, it must be explicitly specified. You can add this to the style section:

Code:
    a img {border: 2px solid #6699ff;}
    a:visited img {border: 2px solid #ffffff;}
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

DebiR (01-19-2014)

Thanks

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much! This looks like an easy fix. I knew there had to be some explanation why they just disappeared. I see you are using img instead of link. As soon as I can get into my space I will try it both ways because I also use the same color for underlined text links and I don't want to lose those either.

Thanks

http://opensalts.us/References/Catal...s-Belgium.html

Apparently not so easy after all. This is the page I tried it on and it's just weird. I tried "img" instead of "link" but that doesn't work at all. Not that "link" works very well either. And for a clicked link it shows up purple instead of white. You can view the source to see what I put in.

Could it be conflicting with the fact I use a 0 border spec on all the flags at the bottom? Simple stuff like this drives me nuts!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

Works fine for me if I do it like I have it in my previous post. If you want to use the pseudo class link, then this is how it needs to be*:

Code:
    a:link img {border: 3px solid #6699ff;}
    a:visited img {border: 3px solid #ffffff;}
    Demo:

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/s.../imgborder.htm

It will interfere with (override) the attribute border="0" on a linked image. To prevent a border on a linked image you will now have to set it in style. I used a class for the table that contains them (the flags. etc. at the bottom) in the above demo. Use your browser's "View Source" to see how. Any questions, just ask.

Alternatively, you can add a class for just those images requiring borders:

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/s...imgborder2.htm

*you can do it on the a tag alone if you make it display block, but that's more complicated, and could mess up the rest of the layout.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 01-19-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: add alternate method
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

DebiR (01-19-2014)

Thanks

I am going to go with your first solution since I'd rather not have to alter every single one of the many images throughout the website. I also have some pages where regular images are intermingled with image links so having a border around the non-links would be confusing. That is why I felt using "link" instead of "img" would be better.

I did consider trying to use Expando for the images a few year back but many are larger than screen size and most need to stay that way. Besides, I don't understand how to download those .js files and upload them to my server (Speedfox). That's true of most of the scripts on Dynamic Drive. It got too complicated for my limited tech brain. You should have an instructional page for people like me.

Thank you for your assistance on this. I'll have to tackle my scripts problem another time. Lots of website maintenance to do now.