Thread: Web Hosting

Thanks

Default Web Hosting

Does anyone have experience and can recommend a free web hosting sevice?
    Vic
    God Loves You and will never love you less.
    http://www.vicsjavascripts.org/Home.htm
    If my post has been useful please donate to http://www.operationsmile.org.uk/

Thanks

There are lots out there. And there are a number of websites like the following that have lists:
    free-webhosts.com

Every free webhost has one or more limitations. For example, they might have ads, not allow certain kinds of content (like Javascript or PHP), have very limited bandwidth and/or space, and so on. Therefore, the best strategy is a simple one: decide which features you require and which problems you can put up with (for example, do you mind having ads?). After that, it's not too hard to find one that matches those requirements. For example, if you want to only host Javascript and text content, then a host with very small space/bandwidth would be fine, and you could do that without much trouble. Certain features, like PHP+MySQL, might only be available on a very small number of free webhosts. Note that for free webhosting, even the basics are considered "features", like (FTP) access to the files and an unlimited number of pages.

There are some bad ones out there, but many are good as long as you don't mind the limitations. [It has been a long time since I used one, so I can't recommend anything specific.]
    By the way, remember to back up your files often! Some free webhosts might not be stable.

At the same time, remember you can pay about $5/mo for relatively unlimited hosting (still limits on space and so forth, but nothing that is a problem for the average personal website).

A friend recently recommended this webhost:
    nearlyfreespeech.net
    The idea is that you only pay for what you use, so if your site is small it will be very inexpensive.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Personally I used HelioHosting before I bought a server. They don't really have that many limitations.

Thanks

They don't really have that many limitations.
    Did you have a lot of media files? Back when I was doing this, I was looking for free hosting that had some room for videos as well-- that was very hard to find. So if you don't need that-- if you're ok with 100mb or less, then you can probably get a free host that doesn't have many other limitations.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Hi Vic,
    I cant get to your old site?

I dont know of any free webhosts, but I use Machighway here in Denver, USA. They host people all over the earth, and they specialize in Mac users(which my classmates and I are). They cost about $100 a year for a regular hosting account(I have 2). But its well worth it. I think they have cheaper ones too nowadays. They also have 24/7 phone support, which I guess wouldnt be OK for you over in UK, but I highly recommend them.

I have tons and tons of pictures on mine, and its not even a fraction full. Also have hundreds of videos of our pets, grandkids, and some river-rafting videos. And my grandson will have many of his Minecraft videos coming soon.

And I thank you immensely for helping me last year with my photo gallery, and I will have more questions, this is a lot of fun, and I am very very glad I found this forum.
    I am the same capecodlilly, but for some reason my password will not work any more, got a new one emailed to me last night, it worked then, but not this morning, so I went ahead and created a new account.