Advanced Search

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would like to add something to this code.

Thanks

No I'll not be grabbing files from a different folder. I like to keep it simple and effective. But knowing how to change the image format to any format like the gif you mentioned is easy.

My plans are simple, as I stated I don't care for the plugins. Now that I know how to set this code up to make it grab any amount and any kind of image I'm happy. IMO it is better than a plugin because I'm not limited on the amount of images used by my software provider. One last and I think final questions John? This code clearly states the smaller the image the more you can use but I'm not seeing numbered height and width settings for the images? In my other code it is set to 60px so I use images no larger than 42px which allows for the IE scroll bar default setting of 17px. 42 + 17 = 59. What is recommend here? Baller used a size limit code in the CSS to make all images automatically resize to a certain size but I'm not sure I can do this with a header code?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 3,098 Posts
    Blog Entries

The images will be the size that they actually are. Changing that by css, if they're too big won't help with smoothness. The current code creates no scrollbars and doesn't have a problem with scrollbars in modern browsers. If you want a style hook to the images add the highlighted:

Code:
    		$master: $('<div id="fallrisemaster" style="position:fixed;top:0;left:0;"></div>'),
    Now you can style the images in a stylesheet like so:

Code:
    #fallrisemaster img {max-width: 60px;}
    But I don't recommend that. It's best to make the images as small as possible (not too small, you still want to see them) in an image editor and just let their native dimensions be used. Byte size also matters. If you can make each image use less bytes, the effect will load faster for first time visitors.

The Leaf#.png images you have are already pretty good (small and easy to see). After I downloaded 12 through 15 though I had a problem with them in IE 10. They weren't loading in that browser. I re-saved them in The Gimp. They got a little smaller byte wise and now worked in IE 10:

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/jqfallrise.htm

The images are in:

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/leafimages/

but you cannot navigate there. You can if you use a filename of the image, like:

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/s...ges/Leaf12.png

then you can see and save the fixed versions.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I would say the IE10 thing is weird but I know better. I dealt with IE10 with W8 since this January and believe me I know about it's problems sometimes. But I just went to the code on my test forum and changed the number to 16 and it's grabbing the other images with no problems?

http://betaitistheride.freemessageboards.com/

If you don't see them let me know but I checked it on my son's laptop on W8 with IE10. Deleting Temporary Internet Files on IE10 is a once a day affair for sure.

Now some of these were png's some were gif's and I went to a image convertor and changed all the gif's to png's. I guess it's possible that they were not all perfectly formatted? I also used a image resizing site to resize them to the 40 to 42px size I wanted.

John I had Gimp for a while on IE10 before I upgraded to 8.1 and for some reason my antivirus (Malawarebytes and Defender) and Gimp didn't get along and for some reason it was corrupted and I was getting PUP Trojans and other bad things. When I removed it, cleaned my computer with a virus sweep all went back to normal.

I really liked Gimp , the ease of using it and what it could do. What version are you running? I got the free version from their website:

http://www.gimp.us.com/gimplp2/index-yahoo.php?pk=4860&c=Gimpus_Q_USA_Phrase

It may have been a stupid add on they had with this that caused the issues?

I want to thank you so much for your help, I now have a code that meets my needs to the letter and now all I need to do is check with some of my members who are using this and that. I do that before I let my friends at PB know about a code. So far I know it works on W7 with IE9, W8.1 with IE11, my son's laptop with W8 and IE10 and on FF, Chrome and Opera.

Now I just need to check with a couple of members who are using a Mac and I've got a few who are using Vista (why I don't know) and XP still LOL.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 11-06-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Format

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 3,098 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your page with its 15 leaf images is fine in my IE 10 here. I was thinking of saying with my last post that it might have been something to do with how I saved the images. But, since I don't recall ever having a problem before like that, and because they were working in all other browsers, I just assumed it was an IE thing.

All The Gimp is free. I have 2.6.11. I'm used to Paint Shop Pro 7. But it's way outdated (very fast and needs few resources though for what it does do). I'm getting used to The Gimp, and you can't beat the price unless you can find someone to pay you to use their software. The Gimp has most if not all of the latest features you can find in any advanced image editor.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I would have assumed the same thing about IE, it has a mind of it's own! LOL I still use Paint too. I'll give Gimp another shot since I went to 8.1 maybe it'll settle down? I do like it.

Thanks again John.