Advanced Search

Thread: Script that lets guests submit where they live in the world and posts to a map

Thanks

Question Script that lets guests submit where they live in the world and posts to a map

I'm looking for a script where site guests and submit their name, and where they live in the world. I then would like it to post to a map where pins from other users who submitted where they live will display, and every pin you click on displays the guests name and the city and country they live in.

Is something like this or something similar available somewhere? Even if I have to pay I'd be willing to take a look at it.

Thanks

Look into whether a customize Google Map would work for you. That's one option to start.
    There are also a few that exist as extensions for forum software.

I've personally written my own script to do this, but it isn't exactly customizable/easy to use [as a designer; it's easy for users] (and was very hard to write). So before attempting to write your own, do look into some of the third-party options.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Well the problem is I am not savy with coding, so I'm not sure how a customized anything would help me.

What forums have extensions like this?

Thanks

I haven't looked at forum extensions for a while. But a while ago (over 5 years) I was using IPB (Invision Power Board), which at the time was free and now isn't (last I checked). I think the extension was called "MemberMap2" or something like that. It worked well enough and didn't require any complicated configuration. I think if you do a search (and maybe have some flexibility about the kind of forum you'd use) you could find something for PhpBB, SMF, etc., at least some of them.

And as I said, look into Google Maps. There are ways to integrate it with your site and add custom locations.

In general, a search for "user map" or "member map" would probably get you started.

If you don't have a strong background in programming (and also, by the way, a relatively strong ability in geometry, to handle the coordinates and zooming), then I'd say this isn't a question for this forum (where we try to help with code) but just for a search-- see what existing products are out there. I'm sure you'll find some. We'd be happy to help with more questions about this if they come up, but first it sounds like you should do some research.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum