Thread: Calendar with text wehn you roll over a date???

Thanks

Default Calendar with text wehn you roll over a date???

Hi,

I've been asked by someone who thinks they saw this ages ago on our (school) website, basically you have the calendar and you just roll over the date and a bit of text comes up saying what's on today... does this sound familiar with anyone? I've looked on our school website and can't find anything but wondered if anyone ever heard of something like it.

Thanks

Jay Dog

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've seen things like that. In fact this forum's calendar has something like that. It lists the member's birthdays on each day. If there are too many, it pops up a rollover (a title attribute really) showing all of them. The calendar here last I checked was out of date (doesn't go past 12/2010). but it's an example:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/calendar.php

There are various calendar scripts available around the web. You can try Googling:

calendar

or:

website calendar

Many use a combination of server side (PHP or asp mostly) and javascript code.

You can make your own. You just need to setup the calendar blank (month), figure out how to get the dates in them. And put tooltips on each important date (title attributes or you could use a javascript tooltip script). This can all be done manually with HTML and a little javascript (only if you want javascript to calculate dates and/or pop up tooltips). But that would be a bit labor intensive, as would coding the whole thing from scratch.

DD has:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...iccalendar.htm

which could be expanded upon to get what you're talking about. There are a few in all at this index:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex7/

I don't think any of them come with the ability to mark dates. But that's not all that hard to add. Also, they're all a bit small for this sort of thing, but that's just the layout, which could be adjusted.

But for what you're looking for, you would probably be best off with something that already included the ability to mark specific dates.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hi, thanks for that, I've used the first calendar before for the Intranet pages but the one where you roll over and you get information for that day was something someone suggested. One possible solution would be just to have a table set up either with divs, tables or even a jpg and I set up a div box that displays information when you rollover it if it were just an image. I'll have a play about with that one but thanks for your help.