Advanced Search

Thread: mac desktops=anyone use it/them here?

Thanks

Default mac desktops=anyone use it/them here?

I stopped by a store the other day and looked at a new mac.

It has a 27" LED monitor and a wireless mouse/keyboard.

It was so fast I could not believe it.The monitor was awesome too.

I am considering investing in one but due to them being very expensive,I wanted to know if anyone can tell me of experiences with Apple and a computer of theirs.

Thanks,

Bud

Thanks

I had an old iMac (that is, the bubble ones, although it was the upgraded "DV" model with slightly better hardware). I was trying to do video editing, and switching over was great after a truly terrible experience with a Sony VAIO (which I have actually heard are now good computers, after I guess a terrible introduction). Then I got a G5, which at the time was a great computer. It was solid, and it still works just fine, although the OS (limited by the old hardware now) is old enough it isn't very useful. I don't have it plugged in most of the time, but it runs perfectly with no complaints really.

Now I've switched over to Macbooks-- I've now had a couple Macbook pros. My current one is just over 2 years old. In general, they're nice computers. I have some very serious objections to whatever it is that makes them overheat... it's awful. And honestly, they only have a life of about 2-3 years. The desktops, however, seem more reliable.

Macs are excessively expensive. It used to be that it was almost worth the money, in that the hardware was much better than the cheaper PC hardware. That's not so true any more. It's probably better than the average cheaper PC, but the remaining reason to buy a Mac is the software. The OS is great. And it doesn't run (or at least not without a lot of effort and still with problems) on a PC.

So if you're willing to pay for a slightly overpriced computer, you'll probably be happy. I don't know anyone who buys a Mac and then hates it.

I've also heard very good things about the Mac minis. They aren't very powerful, but they're cheap, and they do what the average user would need.

Personally I always want a higher end model because of video editing, among other things.

So I don't know how much that helps, but in short if you're ok with the price, then go for it. They're good computers.

If you don't specifically want a mac, just a fast computer, be sure to check out a high end PC, though. It may still be cheaper than the Mac.

The real objection I have at this point with Apple is that they're incredibly cheap about giving you hardware-- it's ridiculous. For example, for storage, 500gb or 1tb is standard, and much less with the newer solid state drives. For a PC of anything even close to that price range, you could easily get 5tb, I'd think. Same with RAM.

Then again, if you do get a box desktop (not mini, not imac) you can replace the parts. I'd suggest buying one with everything you need except hard drive space. Then add in a second internal hard drive (I did that with my G5). Just don't buy that one at the Apple store.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

no secrets; I'm not a mac guy. I've tried them out and I just can't get comfortable + productive using them. Of course, now that I'm a Linux user, I can't be very productive on Windows boxes either.

(If, as Daniel asked, you're only interested in speed, buy a decent PC and then put linux on it.)
    We Only Torture the Folks We Don't Like (You're Probably Gonna Be Okay)
    It's a Party in the CIA

Thanks

Well,speed is only part of it.The monitor,keyboard and mouse are cool too.

I will have to think this out lol

2 grand is a lot of money and I will owe a lot to my wife----hehehe
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks

I think that it is not worth the money that it costs despite of its obvious advantages.

Thanks

This thread has been receiving a lot of spam. It has now been closed for that reason (and that reason only). Send a mod a PM if you want it re-opened.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum