Thread: What would it take: a Web site to host others' blogs

Thanks

Default What would it take: a Web site to host others' blogs

I'm probably a fool for even thinking I could try this but... what would it take to allow other people to register on my Web site and then create their own blog... Assuming I had unlimited server space and I everyone who wanted a blog was a super lovely person (i.e. minimal security), what kind of coding would I need to use to create a system like that? To set it up, would I need to hire a team? Or would it be a job for a single person.
    Again, the purpose is to create a space where OTHER people can host THEIR blog. On the main Web site there would also be dynamic content. This would be a small operation. I couldn't imagine it getting larger than maybe 100 people hosting on it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Speaking without any experience with blogging software here.

Firstly: What're your programming skills like. To create a system that would allow users to register and create blogs, even with minimal security, would be a complex project.

I'd suggest looking around for a pre-built package that allows you to host blogs (none spring to mind).

If you can't find an option that suits your needs, you'd need to look into creating or having it created for you. Are you willing to pay money for this? If so, I'm sure you could find someone who'd be willing to create this (depends of course on your price range).
    If that doesn't suit you, and you have sufficient programming skills, you could attempt this on your own. However, the fact you have to ask for advice this general on the topic would suggest to me that you wouldn't be able to complete this project on your own. (Just my take on the matter, I have no clue how good you are with programming).

As for the actual 'type of coding' you would need to do this: depends on the complexity of the blogs. Can users create their own themes, etc.?
    You'd need to have a login system, a system to store their blogs (and all the data associated with their blog), etc.

Can you be a bit more specific in your requirements, and the resources you have?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to keyboard For This Useful Post:

rekkette (10-07-2013)

Thanks

Yeah... my programming skills are all front-end stuff. I'd definitely be into looking for pre-built packages but am not aware of any. I figured it'd be a complex thing, that's why I thought I'd throw the idea here and see what came back to me...
    And no, users would not be creating their own themes. Of course, I'd want the control to style them - so, something more than what the blogs look like on this site, for example.
    So... something like a modified forum?
    Do you have any suggestions about a pre-built forum to include? I noticed there are a lot.
    Am I right?
    This should be something I could get into and modify...?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,208 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

The blogs on here can be styled - mostly, if not exclusively limited to the colors used for things. It's just that I don't think anyone has ever bothered. I did change one thing - how I show up when quoted in a blog response - the colors used for the text and background of the quote.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

rekkette (10-07-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    The blogs on here can be styled - mostly, if not exclusively limited to the colors used for things. It's just that I don't think anyone has ever bothered. I did change one thing - how I show up when quoted in a blog response - the colors used for the text and background of the quote.
    OK. I did look at the blogs... I think something like that should work. Just so long as I can get into the files.
    I'm still looking at forum software... Really I ONLY want to have people register to create blogs... is this something I should worry about when choosing the software?

Again, I don't know about any of this stuff. I looked briefly at a page about Burning Board and MyBB as far as forum software goes... Do you know these? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

phpBB is another good choice https://www.phpbb.com/ - its free and has lots of free templates and modification packages, including a blog or two. Its pretty easy to customise as well (a common header and footer template file)
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks
    Blog Entries

http://www.bloghoster.net/

Just found this with google, perhaps that's what you're looking for?
    I don't really think a forum would suit your needs. While some do provide limited blogging capabilities, what about the forum part?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm closing this thread as its attracting a lot of spam
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org