Advanced Search

Thread: Menu removal

Thanks

Default Menu removal

I am trying to remove the red menu from this website or the links on the red menu. I'm fine with keeping the red bar but I must remove the links. It was built with Wordpress. I am using firebug to analyze the menu and it shows me the html and css code. The red menu was not built in the Wordpress template like the top blue menu. How can I access the html code to remove the links in a Wordpress website or is there another way to do this without accessing the html code? Thanks

http://www.trademarkassoc.com/

Thanks

It depends on how much access you have to the code. Simple answer: find the code, isolate it, and remove it. Simple trial and error should allow that to work.
    But if you don't have access to that part of the code (due to using a template/Wordpress) then I don't know what you could do. You'd probably have to modify the template.

Are you asking about what code generates that menu? Or are you asking about how to access the code in order to delete it?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Yes, I'm asking how to access the code. Thanks

Thanks

I don't know that we can help with that. Just viewing the generated HTML isn't especially informative for us, because you'd be accessing it another way (and we can't see it from the server's perspective). Maybe you'd have better luck asking at a Wordpress forum? But you're welcome to see if anyone here has any ideas.

Personally I'd just explore all of the files until I found the relevant code. Create a backup of course. Then try to delete it and see what happens.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

If you know the element id or class name cant you remove it with JavaScript using DOM?

Thanks

That's like putting a band-aid on a broken leg and calling it healed.
    Certainly that can hide it that way, but it's the wrong way to go about it-- the correct way would be to find the unwanted code where it is generated in the first place and remove it there.

Furthermore, if you did want to just hide it, using CSS would be a much better option. It would work for everyone (with or without Javascript enabled) and it would load immediately (rather than after the JS initializes). Simply adding display:none; to the CSS properties of the element would effectively make it go away. Aside from potential other problems (such as, a random example, JS code that for some reason looks for that element), it would basically do what is needed. It's not an optimal solution-- that would be just removing the code. But if you're trying to patch it, that's fairly straightforward.