Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Font "tweaks" working in Safari locally, but not working on "live" site

Thanks

Default Font "tweaks" working in Safari locally, but not working on "live" site

Hello,

I believe this is both an HTML and a CSS related question, so I wasn't sure which room of the forum was most appropriate.

I've setup a site with a bunch of font tweaks, including some in paragraph changes occasionally (HTML style <em> and p style font weight adjustments). All these changes are coming through as intended when viewing the site locally, but are not when viewing the live/hosted version. This is on Safari only - every other browser I've tested this on (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera) displays the pages as intended, identically between the local and live versions, as well as live on multiple computers.

The Safari issue does not seem to affect all variants of the browser. I tested the live version on a friend's not very old Mac laptop and all looked fine, while another friend's computer (and my Windows based laptop with Safari) had the same issues.

I am using @font-face for the font. Someone suggested to me I needed to make more declarations for font-weight, etc., but that doesn't quite compute to me considering all is working correctly in all other browsers I've tested in + SOME Safari browsers, and at least one of these changes (the <em> code) is independent of any @font-face coding.

I'm stumped. I've been trying to research this issue on and off by digging around online, and I don't know if I'm not hitting on the right combination of words or am describing the problem correctly in my searches, but I can't find anything.

I greatly appreciate any possible assistance. My thanks in advance...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Might be an issue with the font declarations - maybe the order or use of "/' round the URLs

Try this syntax from my demo here to see if that makes a difference: http://fofwebdesign.co.uk/template/_...face/demo.html

If you need more help, please post a link to your page so we can check it out properly.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

Thanks Beverley. I have my @font-face setup differently (after a lot of trial and error to get it to work at all).

I'm going to send you a PM with my site (I need to not let it be public for now), with password, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I won't be back on a computer til tomorrow (10:15pm here now and I'm on iPhone) but I can have a look then.
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |

Thanks

OK - thanks for the update, Beverley!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry but the page you sent me wont load at all in Safari on my Windows 7 computer - I've been prompted to login 12 times and I cant get any further, so I had to give up there.

However, I downloaded it in Chrome and then viewed locally in Safari, but the page kept refreshing, over and over, to the point of crashing.

I have no idea what's causing the repeating reload - I've never seen it before, although someone else here might have. I don't know if it's related to the @font-face issue but you should probably try to find out why that's happening before proceeding.

The only things I can suggest at this moment in time are;

- try a different doctype (make sure its valid)
    - validate your markup: http://validator.w3.org/ (eg, you have divs inside paragraphs, which isn't allowed)
    - optimise your images (they are pretty large)
    - rename images/resources (shorter names, no spaces, lower case)
    - remove empty/unused tags

If this doesn't help, try rebuilding your page gradually, line by line if necessary, and check in different browsers as you go.

This may or may not be related to the @font-face issue but either way, it should help you narrow down problem areas.

Thanks

Thanks Beverley.

Am I able to validate a password protected page?

I'll look into the reloading issue with my hosting company - I only had that problem with trying to load the page in Safari yesterday, and never did previously (with no changes to the code in between).

Thanks

Hmm...I just tried the local version in Safari and it's giving me fits in loading as well. I never had a problem with that before. Not sure what would cause that - the only thing I can recall changing since the last time I test it there are a few images, and they weren't any larger, etc. than I had previously.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks! I'll take a look...

One thing I remembered that changed in my pages before Safari not loading them is I inserted links to pages that don't exist. Why? I know what the URLs will be once those pages will become active, and was preparing for them in advance (since the site is password protected). Would having those in a page cause any loading issues in a browser?