Thread: Assistance for Lightbox that is populated from folder on local filesystem.

Thanks

Lightbulb Assistance for Lightbox that is populated from folder on local filesystem.

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I'm looking for some help. I have basic HTML knowledge and I'm still trying to learn (through these various types on implementations). I'm looking for assistance or direction for the following intranet idea:

Scenario
    I have a local network or file system that stores assets (movies, pictures etc,) in various formats.

I would like to create a page with an integrated lightbox solution that will read a specific file folder on the local filesystem. Eg. Files can be dropped into a folder, and will automatically be playable/streamed on the lightbox.

From what I understand I need the following:

folder structure -> php file reads it and echos thumbnails -> page refreshes itself -> clicking thumbnails opens the lightbox.

Now I like prettyPhoto for jQuery, it seems to be the most universal I believe.

Trouble is, I do not know very PHP very well, and how about I should implement this. It seems hard to find examples of this online. Could someone please assist me in this?

Many thanks,
    omni

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries

Given your level of familiarity with PHP, this might be hard to follow. But this script (PHP Photo Album):

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...photoalbum.htm

is very close to what you want. It's images only though.

I've already adapted it to use Fancy Box in place of its native Lightbox:

http://www.reddotcuisine.com/gallery.html

Using Pretty Photo (which isn't a standard*) shouldn't be too much different. But the PHP code in PHP Phptp Album's getalbumpics.php file would have to be changed to include the additional extensions required for your other file types you want it to include. Fancy Box might be able to do what you want as well, I would have to check to be sure.

One thing you may or may not understand though is that this local network you are talking about must be PHP capable, and that it's contents cannot be shown to anyone without access to it.

If that's what you have and you're not expecting others without access to this network to be able to see the images, videos, etc., then it can probably be worked out. The page need not refresh itself, that's one of the advantages of the PHP Photo Album script.

*Pretty Photo is a very nice script, just not standard. I'm not sure if any script like that (Lightbox type) can be called standard. It has all sorts of social media tie ins that a local network probably cannot use though. But it can still be used without those if you like its other features. I've worked with it before on other projects.

Lokesh Dhakar's Lightbox is the original and still going strong with updates - perhaps that's the standard. But it cannot do what you want. It's images only. There are tons of others around. Several can probably do the sort of multimedia things you want Pretty Photo for.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Given your level of familiarity with PHP, this might be hard to follow. But this script (PHP Photo Album):

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...photoalbum.htm

is very close to what you want. It's images only though.

I've already adapted it to use Fancy Box in place of its native Lightbox:

http://www.reddotcuisine.com/gallery.html

Using Pretty Photo (which isn't a standard*) shouldn't be too much different. But the PHP code in PHP Phptp Album's getalbumpics.php file would have to be changed to include the additional extensions required for your other file types you want it to include. Fancy Box might be able to do what you want as well, I would have to check to be sure.

One thing you may or may not understand though is that this local network you are talking about must be PHP capable, and that it's contents cannot be shown to anyone without access to it.

If that's what you have and you're not expecting others without access to this network to be able to see the images, videos, etc., then it can probably be worked out. The page need not refresh itself, that's one of the advantages of the PHP Photo Album script.

*Pretty Photo is a very nice script, just not standard. I'm not sure if any script like that (Lightbox type) can be called standard. It has all sorts of social media tie ins that a local network probably cannot use though. But it can still be used without those if you like its other features. I've worked with it before on other projects.

Lokesh Dhakar's Lightbox is the original and still going strong with updates - perhaps that's the standard. But it cannot do what you want. It's images only. There are tons of others around. Several can probably do the sort of multimedia things you want Pretty Photo for.
    This is more or less exactly what I'm looking for! It will be used on an intranet so all users with the server based credentials will be using it. I just have to make sure everything checks out. I'll test it out with local folders first. Thank you for your reply! I will probably be using prettyPhoto as well, but attempt to get video streaming as well.