Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Font "tweaks" working in Safari locally, but not working on "live" site

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You can copy and paste markup into the validator so don't worry about the password.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

I'll try it, thanks Beverley - hopefully that will tell me why the pages aren't loading in Safari currently (I've never used a validator)...

Thanks

OK, I input the URL from one page of the site so far in the validator and got only five errors on it, three of which I've already corrected (I was missing the ALT info by three images).

One problem I haven't fixed yet - a warning, not an error:

Byte-Order Mark found in UTF-8 File.

The Unicode Byte-Order Mark (BOM) in UTF-8 encoded files is known to cause problems for some text editors and older browsers. You may want to consider avoiding its use until it is better supported.
    Do you know what that means?

Another is an actual problem where it's telling me I can't use "<a target="_blank"" in an HTML 4.01 strict document, that there is no "target" attribute in it. What should I use as a substitute? This is for a button...

Thanks

I found what's giving Safari fits!

It's not "liking" the brown PNG's (matching my background) I've inserted into my code to adjust placement of stuff on the page. Previously I used various sized jpgs, but I changed it to PNGs because the jpgs weren't blending into the background well enough.

I *think* the problem might be that I'm using a one sized fits all solution, by taking a PNG file that isn't to the size I need, and making the HTML resize that one each time. I'm going to try making PNGs in each needed size and see how Safari "likes" that.

Phew!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There is lots of info about BOM utf-8 that you will easily be able to find online but I would guess that there has been a mix-up in the way your web editor has encoded your files when it saved them. Maybe you switched between softwares that had different encoding (eg iso-8859-1 and utf-8 with or without BOM)?

You might find that if you open your web page in a plain text editor, such as Notepad, you see these strange characters right at the very start:  <-- that's the BOM.
    If you delete those and change the encoding to uft-8 when you save the file, that should hopefully fix things.
    Standard Notepad is very limited though so it might be better to use something like Notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.4.5.html

As for the target="_blank" in a HTML 4.01 strict doc, it isn't allowed. If you want to use that, and have your doc validate, you would need to use another doctype (try a transitional one) or better yet, upgrade to HTML5

Of course, you don't have to do what the validator tell you - they're only recommendations, rather than "somebody is going to hunt you down and smash your kneecaps" demands
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |

Thanks

One way around the target attribute warning is this:

Code:
    <html>
    <head>

<script>
    function click_open(value){
    window.open (value,"_newtab","location=1"); 
    }

</script>

</head>
    <body>

<div onClick="click_open('http://facebook.com')">What</div>
    <div onClick="click_open('http://google.com')">test</div>

</body>
    </html>

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You could do that, although I avoided providing a JavaScript alternative simply because it isn't really required if Martin use a different (maybe more appropriate to his content) doctype. And to me it seems a little bit overkill using JavaScript for something that can easily be achieved with HTML.

Hmmm, on a closer look, you've used the short <script> tags of HTML5. That might be sending mixed messages - the target attribute is valid in HTML5 so a JavaScript method wouldn't be required.

Thanks

Thank you both. Let me wrap my head around each, though I already replaced the one script I had left that had a <script> tag containing the code between them with a file that has the script. One problem fixed.

I tried replacing my jpgs I'm using for spacing within a line, and Safari still isn't loading. It only loaded when I removed these images altogether (which I can't do).

Why would Safari go into fits with images placed in line, where it keeps wanting to reload the page (and never seems to finish)? Something I've coded wrong? This is only a recently seen problem, and in all previous testing was not an issue at all, ever. I don't get it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I honestly don't know - it is very peculiar. When I hit the repeat login prompt, I thought maybe it had something to do with the http requests - one login for each external resource - which kind of makes sense. Now with you identifying the relationship with images, my line of thought is tickling at the idea of there being an issue with the wrong headers being sent by the server, or incorrect mime types. That would support what you say about it working locally but not online. Do you have another web space to upload to? It might help - you would be able to narrow down it being a server issue rather than a coding/resource issue. Try signing up for a few different free accounts (both Windows and Linux if you can) for testing purposes to see if the problem persists in other environments.

Thanks

Oh i just used script because I was just showing another way of doing the target="_blank"
    Also if you want to message me with the website i would be more than glad to help.