Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: colored/custom scrollbars in firefox?

Thanks

Default colored/custom scrollbars in firefox?

I use the custom scrollbar color code in my web site http://www.freewebs.com/automata/splash.html

It works on most browsers except firefox. firefox uses a default scroll bar. Is there an additional code or method to change the color for firefox users?... Or should I just tell them to suck it up?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It works on most browsers except firefox.
    It doesn't. It works in IE, and possibly Opera. It will probably never be implemented in those browsers that don't currently support it. Although the capability exists in some browsers, it shouldn't be used: the browser chrome was never meant to be touched by web designers.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Why shouldn't it be used? I've never seen any negative effects or anything

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There are no technical negative effects. However, as I've said above, the scrollbars are part of the browser chrome, which is by rights out of bounds for the web designer, who should keep his/her page design within the specified frame. How would you feel if someone wrote a web page that changed your desktop background so it worked better with that site? To try to interfere with the user's browser colour scheme is intrusive.
    Scrollbar colours are also not part of the CSS standard, probably for the reasons I stated above. This means that browser support -- both now and in the future -- will be erratic at best.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Changing a desktop background isn't really a valid comparison.

Scroll bar colors are very short term and only effect the page with the code on it. Especially considering the web page in question only has a colored scroll bar in an Iframe. I've heard alot more people compliment how nice a website looks with a colored scroll bar than how violated they feel that their scroll bar on one specific page isn't gray. Ya know?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Changing a desktop background isn't really a valid comparison.
    A rather extreme one, I'll grant you; but valid, yes.
    In any case, it still isn't possible.
    I've heard alot more people compliment how nice a website looks with a colored scroll bar than how violated they feel that their scroll bar on one specific page isn't gray.
    Yes, but it can be unpleasant: if the user is colour-blind, for example, and uses a high-contrast chrome theme, then can't see the scrollbars, it would reflect badly on your site.

Thanks

I didn't take into consideration the colorblind... touche'

Thanks

goodness. if the colour blind person can't see the scroll bar after the web designer changed it to match the colours in the website, what's the chance they'll see the website itself? by reason, then, wouldn't they see nothing at all, let alone the scroll bar?

not to mention there is a varied degree of intensity with colour blindness. some see a spectrum change, others don't see certain colours at either end of the spectrum, some flat out don't see certain colours in the middle of their spectrum itself.

a web designer can't possibly cater for all these possibilities.

am i to understand, me twey that you are so proficient and purist in your code that you cater for the blind? there is code, you know, that certain programs turn the data into speech for the sight impaired. also, there are people who still use IE2, NS2, or 16 color monitors, or 480 x 320 pixel screen resolutions - should us designers make all of our websites black and white default non framed non flashed non coloured non css'd non interesting just so that all people in the world can view it?

besides, it's not just the one scroll bar that's effected in the change of colours, it can sometimes be right inside the site if the designer has chosen to use frames for that site (inline or otherwise). to have a nice lilac and purple colour scheme throughout only to be interrupted by an ugly default coloured scroll bar is almost an insult.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

goodness. if the colour blind person can't see the scroll bar after the web designer changed it to match the colours in the website, what's the chance they'll see the website itself? by reason, then, wouldn't they see nothing at all, let alone the scroll bar?
    No, the colour-blind would probably have a default stylesheet to override colours he or she couldn't see properly. However, being as these properties aren't part of the CSS specification, they might not be taken into consideration.
    a web designer can't possibly cater for all these possibilities.
    But he/she can at least make an effort.
    am i to understand, me twey that you are so proficient and purist in your code that you cater for the blind?
    Indeed. It's very easy to cater for the blind: simply make sure everything has a text alternative so the screen-reader can read it out for them.
    should us designers make all of our websites black and white default non framed non flashed non coloured non css'd non interesting just so that all people in the world can view it?
    No, it's fine to make flashy sites; but you should provide alternatives for those who can't see all the pretty effects. It's called "degrading gracefully."
    besides, it's not just the one scroll bar that's effected in the change of colours, it can sometimes be right inside the site if the designer has chosen to use frames for that site (inline or otherwise). to have a nice lilac and purple colour scheme throughout only to be interrupted by an ugly default coloured scroll bar is almost an insult.
    That's merely a matter of taste.

Thanks

Talking MaDnEsS

What a strange topic to have been on the verge of an argument over!

Colored scrollbars are fine... providing they are done properly: IE good contrasting colors.

Your argument another example of Political Corectness gone mad.

If I were to be made blind, probably the first thought I would have would be something along the lines of:

"DAMN!! I am not longer able to see things."

not,

"OH NO!!! Now the world has to change around me..!"

It's madness.