Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Youtube video player suggestions?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    12,162
    Thanks
    263
    Thanked 690 Times in 678 Posts

    Default

    It's an abstract and complicated issue whether your site is a copyright violation. If you're trying to compete with youtube, then it probably is. If you are simply trying to create an additional website using videos from youtube, it probably is not. (However, for the reasons above I would suggest confirming all of this-- it would be a big waste of time to make a website only to have it shut down due to youtube blocking/suing you.) To be clear, I'm not offering any legal advice/opinions. All I'm concerned with is whether the topic is appropriate for discussion here.

    Here are the two issues I see (and are relevant to your original question):
    1. You should not create a website that is in competition with youtube while using videos from youtube, embedded in your own site as if they are your videos.
    2. Specifically, branding is important. I'm almost certain that part of the requirements for using embedded youtube videos is that it is made clear that they are, in fact, videos from youtube (this is a sort of advertising for them).


    If you want to add content around the videos, that's fine. If you want to hide where they come from, that's a problem.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 141 Times in 136 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    It's an abstract and complicated issue whether your site is a copyright violation. If you're trying to compete with youtube, then it probably is. If you are simply trying to create an additional website using videos from youtube, it probably is not. (However, for the reasons above I would suggest confirming all of this-- it would be a big waste of time to make a website only to have it shut down due to youtube blocking/suing you.)
    Yes. But there's the youtube-logo on each youtube-video that tells the visitors 'your' videos are in fact youtube-videos. Clicking on the logo leads the visitors to the youtube-site. So I guess that even in the case of a complete youtube-clone, there's no copyright infringement (unless, of course, you hide the logo using javascript).
    Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    I'm almost certain that part of the requirements for using embedded youtube videos is that it is made clear that they are, in fact, videos from youtube (this is a sort of advertising for them).
    See above (youtube-logo).
    Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    If you want to add content around the videos, that's fine. If you want to hide where they come from, that's a problem.
    See above (youtube-logo).
    Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    What could be problematic is, if I interpret it correctly, the original request to create a completely new look for the youtube player.
    I agree. That could be problematic.
    Last edited by molendijk; 09-06-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added a remark

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Aye yi yi, Nevermind. Do either of you know what hotlinking is? It's not a copyright issue if you claim "NO OWNERSHIP" to said videos. You post a terms of service copyright notification as such. If you claim ownership to one single video you can be prosecuted. I've done this as have hundreds of thousands of others for years, 8 for me. If you "HOST" as in upload and serve video or images, or text or any other original form of media you are immediately infringing on somebody's copyright as you ARE NOW HOSTING said material.

    Hotlinking is not hosting, it's called saving on bandwidth. I've provided copywritten archived professional hockey fight video for 2 motion pictures. All of which was paid for by the film and production company's to the National Hockey League for approved licensing. The NHL and about 20 other professional hockey organizations know very well who I am. 7 years ago I was approached by the NHL to investigate my services which I provide. I gave them full access to everything they requested. They found me to be in good standing and not libel for any kind of prosecution due to the fact I am using youtube to host their copywritten material. The NHL takes full ownership of my hotlinked videos and runs advertisements which they collect all proceeds from on my videos.

    MAKE SENSE! Christ almighty.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Now.....

    My original request says nothing, zero, zilch about re-configuring, designing or changing a youtube player. It asks if there is any kind of player like flowplayer, or jwplayer which support embedding youtube videos in their player. Of which all of the controls and watermarks from youtube are still 100% functional.

    If you don't have any suggestions please say so instead of running a Dynamic Drive personal investigation with zero basis.

    Thank you

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 141 Times in 136 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igotregistered View Post
    My original request says nothing, zero, zilch about re-configuring, designing or changing a youtube player.
    Your original request shows an image that might suggest your friend wants you to do just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by igotregistered View Post
    If you don't have any suggestions please say so instead of running a Dynamic Drive personal investigation with zero basis.
    In post #6, I actually proposed a code. (I use some variation on it HERE myself). So I did try to help you. You didn't react on that one.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've found a script which I can customize to do what I need.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 141 Times in 136 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    12,162
    Thanks
    263
    Thanked 690 Times in 678 Posts

    Default

    igotregistered,

    I was looking for clarification, since your original posts did not provide enough details to know whether this was a TOS or copyright violation, in which case we would have strict rules about not providing help. When it becomes apparent that there might be a copyright or TOS problem, we ask to find out more because this is important. Thank you for providing clarification.

    Hotlinking is not hosting, it's called saving on bandwidth.
    I know what hotlinking is, and it brings its own problems. By using youtube's servers, you are essentially getting a free ride. Depending on how this is used, you may or may not be following what is allowed in their TOS. Hotlinking in many cases is the big TOS issue (and many sites are blocked due to hotlinking, especially when it comes to images). Hotlinking is not a copyright issue, but it could become a copyright issue when you have borrowed enough content that you are potentially taking business away from and competing with youtube.

    The two specific issues are the following:
    1. A "youtube clone" that hosts videos from youtube, assuming that it takes traffic away from youtube, is almost certainly a problem. I believe an exception would be a specific topic, such as hockey videos. That was not clear from the original posts, but what you have described since is probably within the range of acceptable use. (Because we aren't lawyers, we are a bit cautious about deciding things like this, and we never can be entirely certain.)
    Further, note there are two types of copyright: 1) the original videos [you explained this above], and 2) the rights that youtube has to host the content. In order for your site to be legitimate, both of those aspects must be properly addressed. From what you have said, it sounds like that is the case.

    2. Branding. Your original post provided a layout that looks nothing like youtube, yet you want to use it in conjunction with youtube. I have been asking for clarification about whether you want to integrate a still-youtube-branded player into a design like that, or whether you want to strip branding from the player. There is a significant difference. Am I correct in understanding now that you wish to integrate the standard youtube player into a certain position within your design? That's perfectly fine! But I needed to know that.


    For the record, your original post did not provide enough information. My original intent was to ask a question and have clarification. This long discussion wasn't the goal.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molendijk View Post
    Just being curious: where did you find it?
    A friend of mine referred me to a colleague of his who offered a script of his own which he is customizing for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Controlling the youtube player with javascript
    By molendijk in forum Looking for such a script or service
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
  2. A player for YouTube, Tubehop, DailyMotion and GoogleVideo.
    By molendijk in forum Submit a DHTML or CSS code
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
  3. Web Media Player: Suggestions?
    By Rain Lover in forum Looking for such a script or service
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 03:24 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 09:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •