Thread: Illegal characters for optional_description imagearray in Ultimate Fade-in slideshow?

Thanks

Default Illegal characters for optional_description imagearray in Ultimate Fade-in slideshow?

1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.4)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: Are there any characters that should not be used in the "optional_description" element of the imagearray in the Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.4)? Should the description text ideally be transformed by something like the htmlspecialchars or htmlentities functions in PHP?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried personally - I imagine that " (double quote) can't be used for obvious reasons, but I suppose the only sure way is to run a few tests with special characters, either by hardcoding or using htmlspecialchars/htmlentities, as you previously suggested.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beverleyh For This Useful Post:

nevdev (08-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,191 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just about anything that's allowed in ordinary HTML is fine there. Of course you cannot use " without escaping it. Many folks want to put HTML tags in there, and that's fine, but any " characters used inside the outer " characters need to be preceded with a slash:

Code:
    \"
    What is also often done, if you want HTML in there, is change the outer " characters (aka: the delimiters) of the field to ' characters. Then you can have unescaped " inside the description field. But then any ' inside it would need the escape slash.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

nevdev (08-14-2013)

Thanks

Thank you, Beverley and John, for those tips. I ended up outputting the text from a prior
    Code:
    htmlentities($str, ENT_QUOTES);
    . Then I threw every bad character I could think of at it and everything survived.

For me, the important HTML link is the image itself, but if I ever do decide to use HTML in the text I'll take out the htmlentities() transformation and just escape the quotes as advised.

Many thanks.