Advanced Search

Thread: Ajax Tabs plugin stopped working

Thanks

Default Ajax Tabs plugin stopped working

Hello,

I hope I'm in the right forum section

I am helping someone with a website that was developed a few years ago and someone installed the Ajax Tabs plugin.
    Basically, this is the problem, the plugin used to have these arrows spinning around on the Home page (until the user scrolled or clicked), and I think it might have been a slide show that was loaded too. At one point this feature supposedly just stopped working.

I am unfamiliar with the plugin, so I am not sure what exactly the effect is and what it might be that I need to do to fix this.
    I'm reluctant to upgrade the WP for now.
    Also, is there a way to upgrade the plugin perhaps?
    Or do I just need to change a line of code somewhere. I already did notice that some reference links were outdated, so maybe there is some link that is not being loaded somewhere..

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the website:
    http://soisystemscanada.ca/
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 08-10-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Format

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

Please post about Dynamic Drive Scripts in the Dynamic Drive Scripts Help section here where I've moved this thread, and in the future:

Warning: Please include a link to the DD script(s) in question in your post. See this post for more information.

That said,

Quote Originally Posted by itucakov View Post
    Here is the website:
    http://soisystemscanada.ca/
    Although the ajaxtabs.js file is an external script for that page, I see no new ddajaxtabs() call for the page. So either it's cleverly hidden in an iframe or external script, etc., or that page doesn't have any Ajax Tabs script content.

Or perhaps you really meant a different page. Did you?

Of the things you describe, perhaps the spinning arrows, could be interpreted to mean:

Name:  loading.gif
Views: 51
Size:  1.5 KB

If so, that's only supposed to be seen while external content is being fetched, and generally should not be seen on page load, unless in auto mode. Which could be a slideshow of sorts, if Ajax Tabs is setup in auto mode, it will cycle through the tabs one at a time, showing that loading image while content is fetched, at least the first time for each tab.

For more on what Ajax Tabs actually does, see:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...tent/index.htm

Once you've looked over that, if you still need more help, feel free to ask.

But I think that script was abandoned a while ago on that page (looks like it might have been used for the main menu at one time, which now just links to separate pages), and because all that was required to disable it was to remove the initialization code for it, that the ajaxtabs.js script itself was allowed to remain as an external script.

If on the other hand you're just looking for a slideshow, perhaps one of these would work for you:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/index.html

My favorites are:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

and:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...army/index.htm

There are many more around the web as well, the above are just ones from the DD code library.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 08-10-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: add info
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Many thanks for all the info John
    I'll review it all. It looks like it's a bit of a lost case to try to retrieve whatever "might" be the problem.
    I'll look up all the plugins that you suggested too.
    Ivan

Thanks

Hi John,
    I thought I'd check back in about this now that I had time to review it and also talk to the owner of the site.
    Basically the "rotating picture" meant a slide show where three pictures rotate on the right hand side half, with a static page on the left side. And it had captions as well.
    The website looked similarly to this website http://mentoringboys.com/ until at one point the slideshow just disappeared, it was between the header and the text below.
    I'm thinking of just building this back up from scratch, but if you have any other thoughts, I'd appreciate it.
    thanks again
    Ivan
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 08-16-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Format

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just took another look at the SOI page and I see no evidence that there was ever a slideshow on it in that location. And, as I said before, it looks like AJAX Tabs script was being used at one time to import content for the various main menu items, and that it was abandoned in favor of traditional links.

It could also have been used to run a slideshow like the one you describe. There's just no evidence as I say of that. But, if all you want to add now is a slideshow with descriptions, I'd recommend a different script - like one of the two DD scripts I mentioned before, or any other you might find that you like..

The page you linked to as an example is using a Flash based slideshow. I'd recommend against that, as Apple touch devices do not support Flash.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

itucakov (08-16-2013)

Thanks

Great! Thanks John, much appreciated!