Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Display Image with gAjax RSS Feeds Displayer v2.0

Thanks

Thank you for all your help!

Thanks

I'm sorry - I can't find a way to open a new thread. My question is again about gAjax RSS Feeds Displayer v2.0 (hosted) (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...sdisplayer.htm)

What do I tweak (and where) to make a feed display more characters?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,306 Times in 3,267 Posts
    Blog Entries

This API is no longer offered by Google, so folks will have to look elsewhere for RSS and other feed parsing scripts. See:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/

Pick one that IS NOT marked (hosted). These will require PHP though. So if that's unavailable for you, you can try the web for other solutions.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seems like Google Feeds API is working today all of a sudden. Not sure what this means...
    DD Admin

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Back by popular demand? In any case, here is the somewhat cryptic deprecation notice:

https://developers.google.com/feed/terms

Reading it more closely, it only appears to say that as of April of 2015 they are dropping any commitment to supporting the service, or even notifying folks of compatibility issues which may or may not arise due to changes in the service, which they now presumably may drop at any moment, again without any notice.

I was prompted to even mention this in the first place because a user mentioned it to me and when I checked I was getting:

Google Feed API Error: this API is no longer available.

Alerts on the SAG Content Scroller v1.3 page, and no content on the other Google Feed API pages, (the various gAjax scripts).

Here's what I just wrote the user in question:

Looks like the Google Feed API is available again - today at least. They do have a deprecation notice up that basically says they may change or discontinue the service at any time without notice. I get the feeling that they might have in mind a replacement service, but that if they do unvail one at some point, it might not be backward compatible and that they are making no commitment to explaining how to adapt to the new version. Folks may just have to start from scratch, more or less, with the new API. That is if a new one is forthcoming. They're also reserving the right to drop it without any replacement. Even so, I'm thinking they would like to continue it if possible and make any transition as seamless as possible, just that they don't want to be legally bound to do so.

For now though, I guess it's back up and running.
    And to this question:

Quote Originally Posted by cxcskiing View Post
    I'm sorry - I can't find a way to open a new thread. My question is again about gAjax RSS Feeds Displayer v2.0 (hosted) (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...sdisplayer.htm)

What do I tweak (and where) to make a feed display more characters?

Thank you!
    Use "description" instead of "snippet" For example, where you have something like so:

Code:
    var socialfeed=new gfeedfetcher("someid", "someclass", "_new")
    socialfeed.addFeed("Slashdot", "http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot") //Specify "label" plus URL to RSS feed
    socialfeed.addFeed("Digg", "http://digg.com/rss/index.xml") //Specify "label" plus URL to RSS feed
    socialfeed.displayoptions("label datetime snippet") //show the specified additional fields
    socialfeed.setentrycontainer("div") //Display each entry as a DIV
    socialfeed.filterfeed(6, "label") //Show 6 entries, sort by label
    socialfeed.init() //Always call this last
    Change that to description. Or if you don't have snippet or description there, add description, or even just snippet. If you want more characters than the snippet but less than the description, that's a little trickier. But I'm pretty sure that can be done. Let me know.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 12-04-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add answer to previous question
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 985 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think Google basically decided to prolong Google Feed API for a little while longer to give people time to switch over to another service. The sudden outage probably created a lot of angry users, even though technically the API has been retired/ deprecated since April 2015.
    DD Admin

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I took a look at Feedzilla. Their service was unavailable as well when I checked yesterday. Server took too long to respond. I would imagine that anyone attempting to provide this service would be facing ever increasing bandwidth demand as well as the occasional, or more frequent legal complaints of content providers who might wish that their feeds only appear in the more traditional manner (as newsfeeds directly to browsers on a client by client basis and/or other more proprietary usages).

That said, I can think of no other organization besides Google that might be able to stay ahead/on top of all that. So I wonder if maybe their notice isn't just more of a "We're trying, but can't promise anything." than anything else.
    - John