Advanced Search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .htaccess rewrite problem

Thanks

Default .htaccess rewrite problem

So I really don't know or understand much with htaccess. I am trying to do a simple url rewrite for a blog type thing. I want to take a url like amecms.com/view-article.php?article=whatever-whatever and make it show like amecms.com/article/whatever-whatever. I can get it to rewrite technically I guess but I think because of the added article/ in the url the page is not figuring out the directory correctly and isn't finding my css file and other files to include.

You can check out what I mean amecms.com/articles.php and choose a article. Here is the rewrite rule I have so far.
    Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^article/(.*)$ ./view-article.php?article=$1
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Oh how I love searching an trying for hours and finally posting for help and then 2 seconds later find a solution. I ended up using a <base> tag that tells files to use the path in the href of the tag for guidance. I set it to my main domain name and it all seems to work how I want.
    Code:
    <base href="http://www.example.com/" />
    All other pages seem to work fine too. I don't honestly know if this is the correct or best way to make it work, so I am very interested in what other methods to try.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Using <base> can become problematic very easily. There's a good conversation here.

I'm not saying you "shouldn't use it," or that it is a "bad thing" in general. Just make sure you know what it does, so you don't have any surprises.

Here's what I would recommend:

1. use RewriteBase in your htaccess. This does what you were probably trying to do, but only internally, when you're rewriting (no unexpected side effects).

2. get rid of the leading ./ in your RewriteRule. It doesn't make sense there.

3. test changes

Code:
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteRule ^article/(.*)$ view-article.php?article=$1
    We Only Torture the Folks We Don't Like (You're Probably Gonna Be Okay)
    It's a Party in the CIA

Thanks

Ok, tried that and it does the same thing as before I put in the <base>. I tried some variations of it with a url instead of the / but that didn't work either. Any other tricks?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

alright; I see now what your issue is. You're using relative URLs to load your scripts.

Yes, using <base> will fix that, though (as I mentioned) it may have other (unintended) side effects. But, if it works for your purpose, go ahead and use it.

A better (IMHO) solution would be to use root-relative URLs where appropriate. For example, when you do <script src="scripts/general.js"></script>, you're always expecting to get the same script, right? The one in the scripts/ directory, off your document root, ...right?

Problem is, that's not the URL you're asking for. You're asking for the scripts/ directory off of whatever directory you happen to be in at the moment. If your current URL is example.com/articles/some-article, you're asking for articles/scripts/general.js. If you're at example.com/how/did/i/get/here/im/so/confused/index.html, you're asking for /how/did/i/get/here/im/so/confused/scripts/general.js.

If you want the scripts/ directory off your document root, ask for it specifically: <script src="/scripts/general.js"></script>.
    Last edited by traq; 06-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    It's a Party in the CIA

Thanks

Yeah after looking around I have found the / to be a better solution also. That too answers other questions I have had in my head. So I will have to take some time and change all the paths in the site. Thanks.

Thanks

So after playing a little, the / method is great for live sites but makes it not work on local host. I have apache setup to read in my D: and then I have each site in a different folder. Browsing to the folder works just like browsing to a hosted site online. in the url bar it says localhost/whatever/file.php as an example. So now using the / the paths are looking at localhost as the root rather than the folder I have the site in.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

mm... different situations, different needs.

ever thought about creating local domains on virtual hosts? There's a "learning curve," but it would allow each of your local sites to have its own document root. It's also very nice having a local environment that more closely resembles the "real" internet.
    It's a Party in the CIA

Thanks

I have been looking at that for the last few hours and have tried many times to make it work but with no luck.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What OS are you using?
    It's a Party in the CIA