Thread: How would I go about this?

Thanks

Question How would I go about this?

I want to create a script that uses an outside text file to dynamically display a parts of the text file. Basically create a web page based on text within a single exterior file. Anyone have any ideas? The text file will supposidly contain school grades and update automatically and display on the webpage updated. I looked into the document object model and dident find much. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Look over the various scripts listed on this page to see if any are close.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You'd be best using a server-side script.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

The idea was to create a script that searches through a bunch of nearby text files and only pulls out certain text related to the thing you searched for. Like say I search for student ID 09184256, it would make a new page showing the grades from all 7 of his teachers grade files and display it for him to use.
    Basically I have to make a script which allows for a user imputed search for his ID and displays his grades from 7 seperate files based on where his ID is located in those text files.
    Im looking at the pages you posted too, they w where helpful. Thanks