Thread: Liquid layout with main fixed content area

Thanks

Default Liquid layout with main fixed content area

Hi Guys, I'm in a pickle on how to implement this:

I have a moc up that states:

Should not use HTML tables (liquid css only)
    main content area with a fixed width of no more than 990px

attached is the mock up, can anyone advise on best practice to have main content area within a liquid layout?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example-moc.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	5132

Many thanks guys

Samiguel

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm not really sure what you're asking. It just seems like you would use percentages but set max-width:990px; on the content div. can you explain a little more of what you mean? If you can't, you should probably ask for clarification for the brief first because it seems a little thin (as in, "not enough info" rather than being physically too narrow).
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

The template has to be central as a liquid layout not fixed, within the layout i have to implement a fixed content area to the left as show.(main content area is where the 2 buttons are indicated.) Problem I have is a central liquid layout with a fixed main content area off a maximum of 990px.

Thanks for your time

Sam

Thanks
    Blog Entries

So what have you coded so far? Please post an example page of what you have (HTML and CSS), explain the specific issues/problems you're having (what is working, and what isn't working as expected), and we can try to help you solve them. We cant really give specific answers with something so vague - only general suggestions;
    Problem I have is a central liquid layout with a fixed main content area off a maximum of 990px.
    I would suggest you do this by setting div widths in percentages, use margin:auto; to center the overall container, with a left and right padding on the body to create distance at the sides, and put max-width:990px; on the content div. You also might need to look into CSS floats if you are unfamiliar with them (or how to clear them). With these suggestions you should be able to being putting something together.

At the moment it sounds like you're asking for somebody to do the template HTML markup/CSS for you, which isn't what we're here to do. You need to do the ground-work and then we can help you hone the specifics. If you would like somebody to do the work on your behalf, please post a request in the paid help forum.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

Hi there, Please see link as to where i am with it, http://pfpaccesssolutions.com/sam_sc...sam-scott.html

All i need is some guidance to making left content area fixed but to not overhang over my right column which is happening when i change width.

thanks

Sam