Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programs become un-responsive (Read this if you want a real challenge!)

Thanks

Exclamation Programs become un-responsive (Read this if you want a real challenge!)

Hey thanks for reading this! So I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a Toshiba Satellite C875-S7303. Lately I have noticed that programs will be come non-responsive for a second and then turn back to normal.

One of the biggest ones is Notepad. When I save a file and use the "Save as Type" dropdown, it will say " (Not Responding) " in the title bar for a while then return to normal.
    Last edited by FrickenTrevor; 07-03-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks

No specific ideas. But could it be due to a nearly full hard drive? That's happened to me before.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Actually I have 322GB free of 465GB. I also did a scan with Norton which came back negative for viruses. I feel like its a registry problem, but I dont know where it is located and plus its not just Notepad. It seems like all my programs seem to do that and random times. If it helps I can upload a gif/video of it happening, the events are repeatable

Thanks

Or, somewhat similarly, could it be due to having too many files in a single folder where you're trying to save?
    (This reminds me I really do need to organize my files. I have about 400+ miscellaneous files on my desktop, and my computer is running slowly, especially when I try to move things around, sometimes when saving. Might be similar to what is happening with you, might not. If so, I'd expect it would be somewhat similar across programs. If not, it's something about those programs.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

djr33, if an icon is on your desktop that icon will cause certain aspects of the associated file to be loaded into memory at startup. ref
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

6. The Following User Says Thank You to james438 For This Useful Post:

djr33 (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a similar setup. Win 7 Pro on a Toshiba Lapper, not sure the model. It came with Win 7 though, so I know it's capable.

Anyways, that happens to me sometimes. But almost only if I have a ton of things open and/or haven't rebooted in a week or more.

I routinely have 3 or more browsers open, ten or more tabs in at least one, ten or more files open in my editor, several browser's developer tools open, wamp, background bootstraps for other things (Open Office for one).

So I chalk it up to a combination of memory and just the sort of things that can happen when you haven't rebooted for awhile (I call them orphaned pathways - things that don''t show up in task manager, but are nonetheless unavailable once used).

Generally I can close down a few things and it improves. Ultimately I can reboot, which has the side effect of closing down at least some of the things I'm not currently working on.

Usually I only reboot after/as a part of an automatic update of the OS. But when those happen less than once a week as they have of late (summer I guess), I have to occasionally reboot anyway, just to keep things 'humming'.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

John, that sounds like my browsing habits. I always have everything open.

James, that's interesting. I should note that I'm on a Mac, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar effects. Obviously something like RAM would be the same, and I think at least for having a full hard drive it would be as well. Probably for all of the icons on my desktop too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

@FrickenTrevor defragged lately?

...I love Linux... : )

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    defragged lately?
    It might be that, but - NTFS, which is the file system used by Win 7 usually doesn't need much defragging. It does come with a handy util for it though.

From the Start Menu:

All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    defragged lately?
    Yeahs thats something I still need to do, perhaps that will help

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    I routinely have 3 or more browsers open, ten or more tabs in at least one, ten or more files open in my editor, several browser's developer tools open, wamp, background bootstraps for other things (Open Office for one)
    I keep a very minimal/clean laptop. The most I have open is 3 or so browser windows (I use Chrome 28.0.1500.63 beta-m) and Steam (in the background). As for files/shortcuts, I only have the recycle bin on my desktop. No shortcuts or misc files. This is actually starting to sound more like a "describe your computer thread"

EDIT: Side note this is my 100th post Also thank you jscheuer1, traq, djr33, and james438 for helping