Thread: DD All Levels Navigational Menu (v3.03) side menu sliding left with Iphone 5

Thanks

Default DD All Levels Navigational Menu (v3.03) side menu sliding left with Iphone 5

1) Script Title: DD All Levels Navigational Menu (v3.03) side menu sliding left with Iphone 5, with software 6.1.4

2) Script URL (on DD): All Levels Navigational Menu (v3.03) http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm

3) Describe problem: When the side menu navigation button is clicked (browser iPhone 5) the menu goes left instead of right. This occurs on the actual DD site side script sample (as well as the page I put it on) so it appears to be a bug because its happening on the unaltered version on actual DD site page itself. I'm not sure if it happens 100% of the time as I thought it might have gone right once but its not going right at all for me now, its going left 100% of the time.

My objective is to find a navigation script that has both side and top menus that is search engine friendly and can definitely be compatible with touchscreens such as iPads and tablets and can work fairly well with mobile browsers such as iPhone. I'm not demanding that it be perfect with iPhone and phones like a mobile website would be but it has to have basic functionality so the visitor can wet their appetite and come back to the site on their larger device later. I'm going to have a top and side menu but the side menu is going to be the bulk of my navigation as I have a too many buttons. It also must be be able to keep my page URLs the same so I can't move to a CMS or WordPress template.

I'm open to suggestion but if this slide left issue can be fixed then then it seems to be a good overall script in terms of compatibility with a variety of devices, being search engine friendly and maintaining my page URLs unless I'm overlooking something? Thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 3,189 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would suggest the current version (2.1) of the Smooth Navigational Menu:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm

It's been pretty thoroughly tested on mobile and touch devices. I know this because I worked on it with Dynamic Drive and others during that testing. But the menu you are talking about works well (as far as I know, I'm not as familiar with it) with mobile and touch devices too.

It's just that on Smooth Navigational and on the one in your post, if the trigger for a menu is too close to the right edge of the browser window/screen (the viewport), it will drop to the left instead of to the right. This is regardless of whether its a mobile/touch or conventional device. But, of course the hand held devices and tablets are more likely to have narrower viewports. You can see this on a conventional device as well though if you narrow the window of the browser.

Looking at the two of them just now, I think the Smooth Navigational menu does a slightly better job of this, is more graceful about it, but I might be biased. My thinking is that since it only slides down, as opposed to from left to right, it looks better when the menu is forced to the left.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 06-29-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: looked at both of them
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate